• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manual trans shift problems/clutch

zrxsix3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright i have had this problem for a while and it recently has been getting worse...here is what i got

I have a 1994 2wd 3.0L 5 Speed and its hard to get it to go into 1st gear from a dead stop...it is also very hard to shift through the gears as well, always thought it could be a problem with synchronizers or maybe the floor mat would get to far up and not allow the clutch pedal to engage all the way but tonight i made sure the floor mat was not the problem and while trying to get it into first gear without trying to put everything i had into getting it to shift i realized the truck was moving forward as well even going up a slight incline the truck will travel forward and there is an rpm drop as well...so now i know the clutch isnt fully disengaging which makes it god awful to try to get it to shift into anything, so my question is, what could cause this? could it be the throw out bearing? slave cylinder? can the clutch be adjusted to compensate?

Looking forward to someones input! Thanks in advanced

zrxsix3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the more i read i am thinking its the slave cylinder which looks like the engineers at Ford thought it would be smart to put this in the tranny... awesome!! hello monday morning fun lol

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds more like the master cyl plus maybe a weak slave. Change the master 1st and see if things improve. It is a PIA due to bleeding issues but one that can be overcome. Some will say to pull everything but really that is not necessary. Before you hook up the clutch pedal rod to the pedal and the system is full of fluid. Pull the piston on the master to get the trapped air out. Hook the pedal up and push a couple of time then repeat the process then you bleed per the manual which is to allow the fluid to drip out a little to get air out of the slave if any got in.

But 1st of all make sure the reservoir is full of fluid before you do anything. From past experience even if this fixes it, the slave will shortly follow so you would need a new master anyhow. While the trans is out it might be time to redo the clutch and all. Something to think about.

Forgot to tell ya to look at the carpet under the clutch and see if fluid has leaked into the cab. That will show possiblely that it is the master. Also you need to look at the slave via the rubber plug on the driver side and/or underneath to see if there is fluid from the trans housing which will indicate slave leak.

Last edited:

zrxsix3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the response! i have not been on for a couple of days and i did check out the fluid after i made this post and it seemed a little low so i went ahead and added some fluid. i cant say it solved the problem but it could have helped. the only thing that is keeping me from doing the job is it doesnt do this all the time... :icon_confused: i will more than likely bleed and check for any air pockets that have been in there from the previous owner (only had this truck for a few months) and i need a bronco 2 out of the garage so i can work on it in somewhat warm conditions!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals