• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 w manual tranny in a 2.9L A4LD

softshellcrab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Dominus Vobiscum
I would like to consider a complete swap of a 5.0 w manual trans into my '90 super cab w a A4LD. I am willing to change everything out from stock, in other words, clean out the hole to get one to fit. Has anyone completed a project like this one? I have access to several late model 5.0's most with auto's. I'm not wanting to deal with the issues of computers talking from the tranny to the engine. In fact, I would prefer a situation that gives me complete control over ignition, inspiration, etc., much like a racing machine. I have a 6" lift and it is a 2 WD. I have a rear end that compensates for the lift.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
M5OD-R2 from a 1997-2008 F-150 with 4.2l V6 will bolt up to a 5.0l(302), and shifter is within 2" of Ranger M5OD-R1 shifter location

M5OD-R2 was used with the 5.0l from 1988 to 1996 but the shifter was farther forward, it can work with custom bent and welded shift arm :)

softshellcrab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Dominus Vobiscum
M5OD-R2 from a 1997-2008 F-150 with 4.2l V6 will bolt up to a 5.0l(302), and shifter is within 2" of Ranger M5OD-R1 shifter location

M5OD-R2 was used with the 5.0l from 1988 to 1996 but the shifter was farther forward, it can work with custom bent and welded shift arm :)
Have you done this type of conversion? Or any other?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've done it and my build thread is below. I used the M5ODR2 from a 1994 F-150 with the 5.0 and 3" body lift with flat plate engine mounts. My shifter is as far forward as you can get and works just fine using the F-150 shifter. Mine is a 4X4 so there are a few differences. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals