• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

At home haircuts?

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody cut their own hair/have somebody else do it for them with their own equipment?

I've been doing my own and having others do it for me for years with my own set of clippers... but it's about time to replace them and just seeing if anybody has any input on a good set of clippers that won't set me back a ton.

I really don't need anything super fancy cuz I usually just go 1/8", sometimes 1/4 or 3/8" all over.

Any opinions, input?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been cutting my own hair for about fifteen years. Its just silly to pay 10 to 15 bucks for a haircut when I wear a hat most of the time.

I just bought a set of Wahl cordless. Bout 25 bucks, paid for themselves several times over already.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I have been cutting my own hair for about fifteen years. Its just silly to pay 10 to 15 bucks for a haircut when I wear a hat most of the time.

I just bought a set of Wahl cordless. Bout 25 bucks, paid for themselves several times over already.
I don't wear hats, but I couldn't agree more.... especially since all I do is the same length of hair everywhere, a freakin 10 year old could give me a decent haircut... why pay $10, which would be cheap at this point, to have something that could be done with a sub $50 pair of clippers every other week for a few years before they break.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
been cutting my own hair since 2004. i'm on my second set of clippers. paid ~$20 for them back in 2006 i think. they work great, i recently loaned them out to a buddy and he still hasnt returned them though. :annoyed:

i use a 2 on the sides, 5 on top, 4 on the sides, and the regular over the ear trimmers. i'm pretty good at it now. i can do it in about 15 minutes and it doesnt look too bad. i have to have my wife trim up the back of my neck though. still havent figured that out.

only had one disaster too, lol. it's what prompted me to buy a new set of clippers back in 06. i guess i was pressing too hard, the damn guard broke off and a took a nice large chunk out of the back of my head. to make it even, i had to damn near shave my head. i looked like a skin head. luckily my hair grows pretty fast.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I do my own.....Wahl. The best cutters and they last a long time!!!! I can trim my beard as well with them and I have the attachments to do the ears and nose hairs!!!!

:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

98greenrangerguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
You definitely can't go wrong with the Wahl brand clippers. My wife has been cutting my hair for nearly ten years now with the same pair of clippers. Keep them lubbed up and they will last a loooooooong time.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I have a WAHL as well. I'm on my 3rd one. Aside from buying the clippers, I've never paid for a haircut in my entire life.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I twist my dad's arm once a month for a haircut. Been using a set of Wahl clippers for years now. I usually go with a 2 on the sides and a 3 or 4 on the top. Seems crazy to pay for a haircut once a month somewhere. As a kid I used to get my hair cut at a regular shop in the winter months and dad would give us kids a buzz cut in the summer, #5 guard all around. When I went off to college I tried going somewhere to get it cut, but every time you'd get someone else and have to explain how you want it cut all over again. Then my buddy's one GF was into cutting hair and she talked me into changing how I had it cut. Liked it so much that I let her cut my hair from then on up until she became a wacko Christian (don't get me wrong, I am a Christian, but I'd go for a haircut and have to sit through a lecture on how I'm going to He!! because I don't do this or I do that or whatever - got old in a hurry). So when that ended, I tried a couple shops again, wasn't happy, and finally talked my dad into giving it a shot. He doesn't do half bad, it's not perfectly the way I want it, but it'll work.

dankhimself

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wahl for sure, they are way overbuilt to cut hair hahaha. clean/lube and you're good to go. if you are ordering them online get clipper oil too the little jar they come with isnt much.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I agree with what seems to be everyone, A WAHL clipper and thats about it. Picked one of the super kits at wally world for 50 bucks comes with a little cordless and a big corded one, with all the attachments. Got sick of paying 20 bucks (cheapest i could find) and getting a crap cut every time.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
I was subjected to 'grandpa' haircuts while I was growing up. As in he cut all our hair, all the boys anyway. We all looked like we'd just landed at boot camp, every time.

I will happily pay for my haircuts, thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah I agree with what seems to be everyone, A WAHL clipper and thats about it. Picked one of the super kits at wally world for 50 bucks comes with a little cordless and a big corded one, with all the attachments. Got sick of paying 20 bucks (cheapest i could find) and getting a crap cut every time.
I have that set. My wife uses it on me from time to time.

My barber that I went to back home still only charges $12. I go out of my way to get in there and get a cut whenever I am in town.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I've done it before with Wahl clippers I bought way back. I remember it hurting a bit, so I gave up and paid somebody. I don't like people cutting my hair though.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a cordless remington, works great. But the battery wont charge so I just keep the cord in it.

Best cut I ever had was from a wahl. Then it started to just kind of chew my hair and die.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have 2 sets of Wahl. I run no guard ove rmy entire head then smooth it out with a Mach 3. I wish my hair would stop growing. I hav enot liked hair on my haed since i was active Duty.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals