• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd to 4wd

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I currently have a 2wd Mitsubishi FM 132 and am about to put a 4wd Mazda in place of it. Does anyone know the difference in length for the transmission? I have a extended cab short box and the donor is a reg cab long box so I want to know if the drive shaft will work or what length I would need.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-transmission-transfer-case.shtml

There are some swap articles that may have dimensions.

My feeling would be neither drive shaft would work, you would need drive shaft from an extended cab 4WD
But just guessing.
1997 and older Ranger extended cab 4WD used 2 piece drive shaft, 1998 and up extended cab used 1 piece.
Using a 1 piece is a popular swap, read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/June04/offroad.shtml
So if you do need a new drive shaft I would look for 1998 and up model.

The Mazda trans does need to be from a 4.0l engine, it doesn't have a detachable bell housing like the FM132 on your 2.9l

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
^That^

The 2.9 4x4 M5OD does exist, on paper. They are EXTREMELY rare though, so the 4.0 is your best bet.

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, the donor truck is a 2.9 aswell so everything should bolt up. Are all extended cab rangers the same length drive shaft? Could I get a drive shaft off any extended cab short box ranger?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, extended cabs had pretty much the same wheel base from 1983 to 2012.
So yes any 4x4 extended cab, any motor size

There is only one length box on extended cabs, no short or long
Regular cabs had standard box or long box

If you go to wrecking yard check drive shaft carefully, they often use fork lifts to unload and to move vehicles around, drive shafts get bent.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Actually if you are using a 4x4 trans the thing to avoid are driveshafts for 1986-87 Supercabs (86 is the first year for the Supercab) because the transmission used in 4x4s prior to a988 are 2" shorter overall.

Also since your truck is a 1990 you basically need a driveshaft for a 1990 or later, because the flange on the rear axle is larger fin diameter and the companion flange adapter required to match it will only be found on late 89 or 90-on supercabs

it is possible for you to switch to the 98-on One-Piece driveshaft without much hassle

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals