• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Took the first test drive with the 2.3T

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
As many of you know I, I have been collecting parts and finally putting them together over the past month to finish the 2.3T. I'm to point where I can drive it now.

It has a very ported head, tubular turbo header, full 3" mandrel bent exhaust from turbo to tail pipe, a large front mount intercooler, ranger dual plug DIS ignition, engine management from a 88 turbo coupe, and a .48 A/R Garrett T-3 turbo.

I drove it for the first time today. Wow! Even at 8 psi (low boost, 15 is high) it is really fast. Almost to the point that I am scared to push the throttle open all the way. The accelleration is in V8 mustang territory.

I've got about $1200 into parts. But I've also sold some stuff from the donor 88 TC that the engine came from. It's actually pretty affordable for the power I'm getting out of it. Surprisingly the wiring wasn't too bad. Just follow the diagrams.

Anyways, If someone is thinking about this swap, I say go for it! You won't regret it!

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
thinking maybe a 2.3t swap rather than a 4.0 swap in my ranger.... i like the idea of a little engine making big power

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'm not sure I'd like it it a 4x4. Down low at part throttle its the same old 2.3 it's always been. Only when you hit the gas and let the RPM's climb does the engine come to life. At about 3000 RPM's all the boost comes in and it's like something huge kicked the ranger in its ass. From 3000 up to 6000 it pulls like a freight train. This is my first turbo vehicle and the way the power works is unlike any naturally aspirated car I've driven. It's got a lot of power, but in a much different way. It's nice for the traction-less ranger though, having gobbs of power off idle would only result in a nice puddle of rubber on the asphalt.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Pics are coming. Though not till the weekend maybe. I'm completely swamped with school currently.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals