• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replaceable Ball Joints?

NPdarkside21

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
My credo
Work Smarter not Harder
I own a '99 XLT with coil spring suspension and I have already changed the lower ball joints but I'm wondering if the upper ones are replaceable. I was about to buy some new ones but the listing says coil spring upper control arm "WITH replaceable ball joint". The thing is, the passenger side has a grease fitting on the ball joint but the driver side does not. I can't tell if the passenger side has had the whole arm changed and not the driver
or
they both have replaceable ball joints.
Any advice?:icon_confused:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
can you tell us where that listing is?

do you now have replaceable upper joints now?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Look for snap rings. An arm designed with replaceable joints will have a snap ring around the top of the joint.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
to confuse the issue even more, NAPA lists the right upper control arm NCP 2605230 as having a pressed in ball joint.
but the left upper control arm NCP 2605231 is unitized, cannot replace the ball joint. :icon_confused:

furthermore: NAPA PCC 104261 is a ball joint "will not fit OE arm", and NCP 2601549 says OEM, coil springs.

good luck. :dunno:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Right. The arms are different side to side. One is a one-piece, the other is a two-piece unit that had sliders for caster adjustment.

No press-in joint fits an OEM arm, because that isn't how the OEM arms are designed.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
lets stay with the confusing part for a while longer.

the torsion bar AKA heavy duty suspension, and 4wd had the 2 piece pass side upper control arm starting in 98 and going for a couple years. those were superseded by 1 piece arms (just like the dr side) at some point. these are longer than standard duty, and the ball stud is bigger. they don't fit coils.

the "standard duty" AKA coil springs upper control arms started in 98 as 1 piece with replaceable ball joints for each side. Ford 3V049 MCS-104261 is the current listing for the joint.
Ford shows "until 5-14-01" for those ball joints. I'm thinking that's when the upper arms went to the unitized, can't replace the joint style.

adding to the confusion,,

Ford 3V049 MCS-104261 should fit the OEM arm, but NAPA PCC-104261 says "will not fit OE arm" :dunno:

for NPdarkside21 it boils down to what's on the truck now.
personally I would get the 1 piece arms which include new bushings and ball joint.

To NPdarkside 21, if you do have replaceable ball joints in those uppers I am very interested in the dimensions of the stud and the base where it presses into the hole.

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 needs to have the front end rebuilt. Been squeaky for awhile now. Got other fish to fry, and the tires aren't wearing funny. But when I do it, just going to buy all new upper and lower arms with the joints already installed. And with grease fittings if I can find them. The squeaking sucks, and if the damn things had grease fittings, I could easily stop it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My 98 needs to have the front end rebuilt. Been squeaky for awhile now. Got other fish to fry, and the tires aren't wearing funny. But when I do it, just going to buy all new upper and lower arms with the joints already installed. And with grease fittings if I can find them. The squeaking sucks, and if the damn things had grease fittings, I could easily stop it.
Get a needle greaser and drill a 1/8" hole in the top of the joint, add grease, and cover over with RTV when done. It isn't great for a long-term solution, but it will shut the squeaking up for now, while you fry your other fish.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 1999 and I have been looking at complete kits from ebay for around $108. These have both inner and outer tie rods, lower ball joints and the top control arm with the ball joint already installed. So from my understanding is the upper ball joint is replaced with the control arm. Might as well since the control arm has rubber bushings that can deteriorate over time. That is how mine is but you just need to get under there and look around the fittings for snap rings or a castle nut. If the ball joint is replaceable by itself then it should be obvious.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals