• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Gremlin Halts Restoration Build

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What's up guys.

I've hit a snag in my restoration of my 1998 3.0l 4x4 build. The entire truck has been torn down to the frame and every bolt, nut and part has either been replaced to restored including the motor and transmission.

My issue is with the transmission. This weekend was the first time the truck has been run fully up to temperature so I can do my final fluid checks and other tests. The transmission will not shift into any drive gear including reverse. It will shift into park and neutral.

The fluid pump is working as I have good pressure running through the cooling lines. The 2 main electrical connectors to the transmission have been checked for broken pins, etc. The connectors on the transmission itself have been checked as well. I have checked my fuses and confirmed my relays are also working. I have no check engine light on the dash.

The truck will only start in park and in neutral. The shift lever and linkage are functioning properly. Idle is perfect and the fluid level is perfect. It took a little over 10 quarts of fluid. If i shift the truck into neutral and push the truck it will roll. It will not roll in park so the transmission is shifting mechanically. It seems that something is not telling the solenoids to shift which makes me think its an electrical issue. My buddy who built the transmission is a 20 year ford transmission tech and i trust his builds 100%. He wont be able to take a look at it for me for a couple of weeks so I'm trying to get some new ideas on what to test.

Thanks in advance for any input.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The solenoids control shift points but have nothing to do with transmission going "into Gear"
Especially Reverse, no shift points or solenoids involved

It reads like Front pump was damaged on install or was already damaged
You will still get some fluid flow but no pressure and all automatics run on pressure, Reverse requires 175psi to engage, 1st about 125psi
There are test points for pressure gauges on the side of the trans, but from description of "no gears" I would pull out the transmission, there would be no "in the truck fix"

On my first automatic trans install I broke the front pump on install so costly lesson
Torque converter must be installed on to transmission's input shaft then turned while pushing it in, it will slide in and click 2 or 3 times as it locks into front pump and inputs shaft.
Failure to do this will result in what you have described.
And when trans is mated to engine it should mate flat and with all bolts installed and tight, you can then pull torque converter forward and bolt it to flexplate.
Any resistance on mating trans to engine will be from misaligned torque converter, and "bolting it together" by force will damage front pump

Last edited:

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up doing a pressure test on the transmission to see if it was a pressure problem before I went and dropped the transmission. 210psi. Definitely not the pump. I drop the pan and found that the level on the parking pawl was broken off.

That would explain my no gears issue. Now the big question is did it break because of a defect in the metal or is piston the valve body jammed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals