• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 Ranger Restomod

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It finally got decent enough (even over 20*) to get the Ranger out to play in our first really decent snow for the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTSq8hbdnc

It did pretty good, I was impressed how well both front wheels pulled together for it being an open axle. After watching the game film I think if I let it dig a little longer the second time I backed out it would have chewed through it, snow on top of corn chaff isn't the greatest for traction though.

I still think if I ever track down a D35 I do think it will get a Jeep limited slip.

I was going to shoot more but after I parked it after the last scene to move the camera it surged about four times and died. Ignition died, cranks but won't say a word. I went ahead and pulled the sad 34 year old harness between the module and dizzy out of it to redo while it is too cold (-2 as I type) to mess with troubleshooting.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
The seats bolt in like the are supposed to with tracks from a bucket seat 60/40 bench seat truck. You have to drill holes for the inside mounts but the floor was dimpled where they needed to be. There are two different kinds of floor pans, make sure you watch that when you go shopping for tracks. There is a heatshield on the bottom of the cab that makes it a PITA to put nuts on the PS track mount bolts, I could get my arm crammed between the floor and shield and used electrical tape to hold the nut in a box end wrench.
Believe me I know this pain. Rusty came with a standard skin and bones bench seat, I hated it with a passion because of how uncomfortable it is on long drives. I found an 88 about 50 mins north of where I live, and as soon as I sat in the 60/40 bench seat, I knew I just had to have it. If I had an extended cab I'd probably go ahead with the Explorer seat/console mod like yours, but I know those seats have to sit up pretty straight in your truck just to have any leg room.

On a side note, if I tried to drive my truck through that much snow you wouldn't see the top of my tires. I want so badly to do a 2" suspension lift and possibly a 1" body lift to mine as well. Some of my friends love body lifts better because they allow for much bigger tires, and as far as the lifting part they are much simpler, but you have to extend the steering column which is no fun if it's hard to get to, you have to extend every single body/frame ground on the truck, and besides which I don't want huge ass mud tires on my truck, I think the biggest I'd ever go would be 30 or 31. And I'd have to get a pretty good deal on them at that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine came with a vinyl bench, aside from all the downsides that vinyl/leather have it was ok. Two springs blew out and I swapped in the contoured cloth bench seat out of my parts truck, it was pretty nice. I still have it in my storeroom...

The bodylift was cake on mine, the steering extension was easy to get at with my 2.8 (no wider than any other OEM V6) and pulling the steering shaft is still easy with a V8 in there.

It only has 31's on it, I like the DIA but I am going to try for narrower the next time. I think I have too much flotation for what the truck weighs. I got these nearly new for pretty cheap, I think a tad over $400 for the set and they still had a little bit of nubbin left on the tread.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've never actually done a steering column extension, I'm not really even sure how it's done or how difficult it is. I'm not entirely against body lifts but I was just sticking with what I know how to do. My friend Preston's 04 Ranger Edge has a 3" body lift; it looks pretty bad ass but I can only imagine all the wires that had to be extended to do it. I can only imagine on a 1st gen that the only grounds would be the chassis ground cables for the engine and battery, but it still seems like a lot to deal with.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never actually done a steering column extension, I'm not really even sure how it's done or how difficult it is. I'm not entirely against body lifts but I was just sticking with what I know how to do. My friend Preston's 04 Ranger Edge has a 3" body lift; it looks pretty bad ass but I can only imagine all the wires that had to be extended to do it. I can only imagine on a 1st gen that the only grounds would be the chassis ground cables for the engine and battery, but it still seems like a lot to deal with.
My '85 only has the ground for the trailer lighting and the lights on the grille guard that ground to the frame. Most things ground to the body or engine.

You unbolt the steering shaft, do the lift and then insert a hunk of metal between the two pieces of the shaft.

The hardest part was designing a bracket to move the front bumper up. Nobody offers brackets for a first gen and I think they look goofy if you don't move them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
The hardest part was designing a bracket to move the front bumper up. Nobody offers brackets for a first gen and I think they look goofy if you don't move them.
Trust me, I saw a B2 that didn't lift the bumper, worst mistake the owner'd ever made. That's another problem, I ain't too good with the whole custom fabrication thing. I don't know how to weld, and besides which I don't know where to come by scrap iron these days. Otherwise I'd already have your brush guard :icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger turns 29 years old today. :birthday:

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure and buy it something nice for its birthday!!!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure and buy it something nice for its birthday!!!!
I am going to put the new valve covers on tonight... and take it for a trip through the carwash.

Probably kinda close to a mani and a trip to the spa isn't it? :icon_twisted:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool...don't think I've seen this build thread before...good job :icon_thumby:

And congrats pm winning the TOTM...that's how I found this from the Home Page of TRS...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Host car for this year is:

It isn't even close to done but apparently everybody else has done it enough times they voted me to do it this year. :yahoo:

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
I ran through this thread, and am jealous! You, dad, and I need to have our own little RBV get together sometime this summer!

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
VERY nice build! I really like the V8 fender-badges where folks expect to see the V6 there - tastefully done with the details. Great truck you've got there.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran through this thread, and am jealous! You, dad, and I need to have our own little RBV get together sometime this summer!
Sounds good to me.

VERY nice build! I really like the V8 fender-badges where folks expect to see the V6 there - tastefully done with the details. Great truck you've got there.
I like how it doesn't really call a ton of attention to itself, most people don't know there is anything special about it until I start it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I am the carshow chairman this year, I think it would be neat to get as many RBV's there as we can get. Mine isn't perfect and they put it on the poster so yours doesn't have to be perfect either.

There is usually a pretty good showing of classic cars too, if you are in the area stop in and check the show out! :3gears:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals