• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no brake lights unless headlights are on

ja8008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 Ranger supercab 4wd. I only have working brake lights when the headlights are turned on. Connection and wires check good. Bulbs are new. Headlight switch checks good. Headlight alert doesn't work either. Previous owner removed door jamb switches too so there's no dome light when door is open. Key in ignition alert doesn't work either.
I don't know if these are all connected or not. Like they're in the same circuit or something?
Any ideas what might be wrong? I feel like I'm overlooking something.

I've almost been rear ended many times because my rear brake lights don't work unless the headlight switch is pulled all the way out to activate headlights. :sad:

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Sounds like the previous owner did some handy rewiring to his liking and messed some things up along the way. The brake lights typically work even when the ignition it turned off.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1994 has separate brake light bulb and turn signal bulb so wiring is fairly straight forward.

Same fuse powers brake light switch and headlight switch

Attachments

ja8008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the brakes, door jamb wires, etc.....
Also, how do you access the wires or find the plug for the door jamb switch?

ja8008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the previous owner did some handy rewiring to his liking and messed some things up along the way. The brake lights typically work even when the ignition it turned off.
Exactly. He also removed some things and I can't find the wires that go to them. I really need help. I'm looking to make my Ranger really good and strong. Yay, I like it a lot. Looking to improve it but first I need to make it safe.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads like you could use the Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, or "EVTM" for a 1994 Ranger.

Electrical diagrams like I posted above are helpful up to a point but the EVTM lays things out a little different, it is made for service techs to trouble shoot sub system wiring, so has connectors and pinouts.

Check out ebay: EVTM 1994 Ranger

They run about $20, there were some transfered to CD but don't see them any more?

You don't want electrical repair manual or repair manual, hold out until you find the EVTM
And for a 1994 not a 1993 or 1995
Example here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Ford-Ranger-Truck-Factory-Wiring-Diagrams-Service-Manual-EVTM-/391165806816?nma=true&si=2iYIC%2BjJuW2YdPZMRMQj9vyNh68%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&rmvSB=true

And just FYI, local library's often have these, not for checking out though, but you can copy pages you need, or take a picture with smartphone

Last edited:

ja8008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm limited on funds but my hearts in the right place.
The EVTM manuals I've found run from $50- $120 so it'll be a while before I can get this fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check local library, it is FREE :)

You will be surprised how many tech manuals they will have in print, on CD, in media storage, or in "the cloud"

ja8008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Check local library, it is FREE :)

You will be surprised how many tech manuals they will have in print, on CD, in media storage, or in "the cloud"
I just did online library catelog search and only four d Haynes and service marks u all fir ford trucks. No EVTM
http://lincc.clermont.lib.oh.us/search/?searchtype=X&searcharg=Evtm+manual+ford+ranger&sortdropdown=-&SORT=DZ&extended=0&SUBMIT=Search&searchlimits=&searchorigarg=XEvtm+manual+ford&SORT=D

ja8008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Original socket for headlight had a burn mark and two pins were not seating right. Some of the pins were broken and weren't making contact properly. So, I replaced the socket with pins and wire. Now I have brake lights working properly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals