• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chirp noise under acceleration

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
you are about the third or fourth member with a 1996 with similar symptoms in recent months...and I can't say that any of them actually found a complete fix that corrected things.

One of the most recent discovered that the crank position sensor was not working as it should and was giving sporadic hesitation and miss...another replaced pretty much all the sensors and major components (even the PCM) without resolving the issue.

Are you getting any codes or have you checked for that yet?

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I think I managed to narrow it down to just a clogged up fuel filter. I'm gonna replace that today and see if it helps. But I really don't have any codes (besides the one for my cam sensor awhile back) but that's been taken care of

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I mean the spark plugs looked like they hadn't ever been touched. It's having similar symptoms as a clogged filter so that's why I'm thinking its that. Just feels like it's not getting enough fuel now that I think about it

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The fuel filter could be the culprit...as would be a slowly degrading fuel pump...but this is why one member took the initiative and simply replaced everything when he didn't resolve the issue with the last parts replaced.

It can add up to being an expensive troubleshooting method really fast and I hate to see someone going through that after doing it myself a few times...

Filters are fairly inexpensive and I've changed a few with varying results...sometimes actual fixes especially on a carburetor.

But hesitation does often turn out to be fuel supply related...in my limited experience.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
In 50 years of driving, I have never seen a clogged fuel filter. I have been changing them faithfully for forever. Now, not so much. Also, have cut several in half and they have all been really clean. Hope the fuel filter is your problem though.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Doofy, I changed the filter one time in a 87 Sable that is now at 250k. I did not cut the old one apart, but did blow through it with no difficulty. I still have the factory filter in my '85. The filter element is inside a canister, and I think it may be holding some water, but it was too tight to remove using a strap wrench. I might try TWO strap wrenches at the same time.
In all the times I have bought 'lawn mower' gas, into portable tanks, I have yet to see any accumulation of sediment or contaminants. The only thing I did see was some pearls of water, and that was in some long-held gas.
I wonder if there are parts of the country that have a lot of problems with dirty fuel.
tom

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had two filters on my carb setup...one just before the electric fuel pump and one going into the carb. The only problem I ever had with gunk in the fuel was when some of the thread sealer tape I used on the last stage of the connections (after the filter) broke loose and wedged themselves into the jets...the engine would hesitate and bog down and I would slink off the road...only to start up almost right away and run until the tape was sucked over the jet and plugged it up.

So...most of the debris would be trapped in the filters...and I did shake one out one time and found chunks of something that would have eventually plugged the filter...and the truck did run better after changing the original filter on the carb...

I can imagine small bits plugging up injectors and jets and causing all kinds of problems...especially on vehicles that sit for a long time and get corrosion in the lines...the small chunks of rotting metal break off and work their way into the business end of things...so I'm a believer in their purpose...just not the most likely thing to go wrong in most cases.

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea it was the filter. Poured out the remaining gas in it and it was a nasty brown rust color. Put a new motorcraft one in it and it runs beautifully

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My chirp noise I was talking about came back though :( it's not as bad as it was before, but I'm thinking I screwed up one of my plugs. Gonna try going back and redoing it today

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Glad you found a cruddy fuel filter. I tried the e3 sparkplugs when I was a novice ranger owner and learned very quickly from this very forum that rangers do not run well on non-oem plugs. 2 out of 6 cylinders missed badly so I hucked the fancy crap in the garbage can and installed the proper motorcraft plugs and no more miss. You live, you learn!

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's what I used. I got the motorcraft plugs, but not wires. I'm stil getting some accekeration hesitation so I'm really thinking I messed up a spark plug or two

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals