• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tri-Y's and an AOD?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Has anybody used tri-y's on a 302 with an AOD?

Word on the street is that the tri-y's are too narrow and interfere with the bell housing. I'm wondering what needs done/modified to make them work?

I really don't want to use 89500's if I can get some tri-y's to work.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They interfere in the area where the starter is. I had a set, I didn't like how they fit around that that at all and they plain won't work on a 4x4 (non issue on your 2wd I know) so I sent them back. They were the Patriot ones from Summit, great looking header.

That is a 164t seperator plate:

Here is a thread with some different header options, I think I am going to give the 88400's a whirl if everything looks good when I get the engine set in there.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95640&highlight=header

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Thanks for the info and link. I'm not even going to try the tri-y's, it looks like too much work.

How much did it cost for return shipping and restocking fee to return the headers to Summit?

I may try the 89400's, but only if I can do it without chopping the frame. I wonder what they look like (the clearances) with the exhaust pipe on them?

I used 89500's on my last swap and everything went perfect. I chopped the collector off right where the 4 primary pipes come together and welded a 3 bolt, 3/8" thick flange to the header. Then I used a tight 90* elbow from summit, with a flange welded on it also. The other end of the elbow had a flange on it that bolted to the exhaust pipe. I wanted it this way so I could just remove the elbow to replace a starter if needed, and it was the way to gain the most clearance for the i-beam, which wasn't even close to hitting.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think it was like $15-20ish for freight. It was within 90 days so there wasn't a restocking fee.

Comparing the 88400's with the similar Patriot shorties in that link, it looks like frame mods might hinge on the mounts. Totalled used fox/convert mounts, the engine is mounted higher on the crossmember and headers are above the frame. Wade used V6 mounts with a plate, the engine is mounted a lot lower and required a lot of cutting to clear the frame.

I am going to wait and see how things look after I get the engine in, if I like what I see I am going to go with 88400's... if I don't I have a set of 289 manifolds that will fit and work fine.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Thanks for the info and link. I'm not even going to try the tri-y's, it looks like too much work.

How much did it cost for return shipping and restocking fee to return the headers to Summit?

I may try the 89400's, but only if I can do it without chopping the frame. I wonder what they look like (the clearances) with the exhaust pipe on them?

I used 89500's on my last swap and everything went perfect. I chopped the collector off right where the 4 primary pipes come together and welded a 3 bolt, 3/8" thick flange to the header. Then I used a tight 90* elbow from summit, with a flange welded on it also. The other end of the elbow had a flange on it that bolted to the exhaust pipe. I wanted it this way so I could just remove the elbow to replace a starter if needed, and it was the way to gain the most clearance for the i-beam, which wasn't even close to hitting.

If you handled the mods to the 89500's, then fitting Tri-Y's shouldn't be a problem for you. The 88400 right side collector is just above the starter, the left side is the same part as the left side 89500.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic

Has anybody used tri-y's on a 302 with an AOD?

Word on the street is that the tri-y's are too narrow and interfere with the bell housing. I'm wondering what needs done/modified to make them work?

I really don't want to use 89500's if I can get some tri-y's to work.

I have the Patriot tri-y's in my ranger with a 4R70W which is basicly the same trans as an AOD. I cut the collectors and straightend them out to fit and they work great now. It was a very easy thing to do. :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm, if it's as simple as a bend or cut and twist of the collector, the tri-y's would be what I want to use. Maybe they'll send me the ones 85_Ranger4x4 returned lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, if it's as simple as a bend or cut and twist of the collector, the tri-y's would be what I want to use. Maybe they'll send me the ones 85_Ranger4x4 returned lol.
If they have Sharpie pen marker where the bolts smeared the paint a little on the outside two bolts, thats them. :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
haha, I'll watch for em:icon_rofl:

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
I have the Patriot tri-y's in my ranger with a 4R70W which is basicly the same trans as an AOD. I cut the collectors and straightend them out to fit and they work great now. It was a very easy thing to do. :icon_thumby:
would love to see a pic of that setup, am in middle of header install myself and trying to decide if I should buy or build my own.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I cut a pie slice out of the collector tube as close to the small tubes as possible, bent it and had it welded. cost $20 because I don't have a welder.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
I cut a pie slice out of the collector tube as close to the small tubes as possible, bent it and had it welded. cost $20 because I don't have a welder.
could you post a pic of your mod please.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Bump to a old thread . Anyone use a set of tri's lately on their swap . Really thinking I'm going to get a set a mod them to fit . It's on a 94 2wd xcab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I put an AOD in a 65 Mustang with Tri-y's, had to heat and bend where the two down pies enter the collector pipe. Used a pipe inserted into the collector to bend the pipe out enough to clear the AOD. Had to do that to both headers. I was still very close at the starter, I had to cut down the stud on the starter where the battery cable connects to make it clear the header and not ground out.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Thanks for the info. I have a rose bud torch tip that we use up here at the shop just for that . I figured it would be just doing some heating and bending for the most part . What size are the collectors by chance on average . ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals