• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Beautiful! Love the way the rims make the truck look...

SVT

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Beautiful! Love the way the rims make the truck look...

SVT
I wasn't sure at first but I am starting to think they will look good once the tires are mounted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmyankee74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I wasn't sure at first but I am starting to think they will look good once the tires are mounted.
Wow your truck is really looking good! i noticed you did a flip (axle on top of leaf springs)in the rear are you using stock springs on the front or are they lowered springs?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Wow your truck is really looking good! i noticed you did a flip (axle on top of leaf springs)in the rear are you using stock springs on the front or are they lowered springs?
I used a flip kit on the rear with the optional shackles. However the shackles are not yet installed in the photos. I have three sets of OEM front springs, stock height, 1 inch drop (cut), and 2 inch drop (cut). Right now the two inch springs are installed and I am waiting to see what they look like when the wheels and tires are installed. At that point I will decide what to do with the back, install the DJM shackles or use the OE shackles for another 1 inch drop in the back. If needed I will "adjust" the front height by cutting the springs a little more to match the back. However, I will probably wait to make final adjustments until the bed is installed as it will drop the truck slightly from the weight.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Today I measured for the oil filter adapter hoses, 2 hoses, 26 inches per hose flange to flange. I decided to go with the “OVER KILL” option! The hoses and fittings I picked out are rated to 3000 psi and are flame resistant. It took Hoses and Hydraulics Inc. about 8 minutes to build them to my specs and I was out the door with the custom pieces in hand. I have had the normal oil lines on these kits fail in the past and wanted something that was worry free for years to come.

I checked the clearance and as I thought the body mount bracket had to be trimmed on the front side. I wanted to make sure the hoses had plenty of room to move slightly with the engine and would not chafe against the sharp edges of the bracket.

Then I attached the oil filter hoses to the remote adapter and routed them under the frame and over the top of the lower radiator hose and up to the adapter on the engine. They fit perfect and really don’t even need any ties to be held in place. The hoses are firm and maintain their position with very little movement.

Last edited:

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
I still can get over this build. Could you do me a solid. Next time you got the camera out snap a few photos of the engine mounts im still havine issues with mine...

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I still can get over this build. Could you do me a solid. Next time you got the camera out snap a few photos of the engine mounts im still havine issues with mine...
I can do that. Any particular view?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the pair on my '02:

Right side: Had a lot of trimming to do getting the TM's to clear.

[/URL][/IMG]

Left side:

[/URL][/IMG]

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
I can do that. Any particular view?

Mainly the driver side showing both the plate and mount. And a good shot of the passenger side. Thanks

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do those slots go to the front or the back, been wondering. Think the plate should have raised the motor, not dropped. Several have had to use spacers to raise it for clearance for suspension or oil pan.
Dave

[/URL][/IMG]

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do those slots go to the front or the back, been wondering. Think the plate should have raised the motor, not dropped. Several have had to use spacers to raise it for clearance for suspension or oil pan.
Dave
The engine & trans are as far forward as the slots in the plates will allow. With the TM headers, the rear bolt on the right side is essentially impossible to access!

With the FRP rear sump oil pan I'm using, I did have to shim under both plates to clear the rack and pinion. To do it over again, I'd wait until I found a used late Expo steel pan and then raise the front of the pan to just clear the bottom of the oil pump. Would make needing shims under the engine plates a non-issue.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The engine & trans are as far forward as the slots in the plates will allow. With the TM headers, the rear bolt on the right side is essentially impossible to access!

With the FRP rear sump oil pan I'm using, I did have to shim under both plates to clear the rack and pinion. To do it over again, I'd wait until I found a used late Expo steel pan and then raise the front of the pan to just clear the bottom of the oil pump. Would make needing shims under the engine plates a non-issue.
My set up is pretty much identical to what is described above. I shimmed under both sides of the engine plates to lift the engine enough for the steel oil pan to clear the rack. The Torque Monster headers do require some modification to the rear of the right side plate to clear. My engine is all the way forward on the plates and the right side plate does lower the engine so it sits level with the left side. The photos above do depict the correct orientation.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The four new 275/55/17's were dropped off by UPS today. When I arrived home I loaded the new tires and wheels into the 98 Ranger and headed up to Auto Dynamics in Largo to have them mounted and balanced. I should have them on the 99 Ranger Friday evening. I can't wait to see what they look like on the truck.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I could not wait until Friday. I decided to pick up my wheels and tires a little early and mount them on the Ranger. They are probably a little taller than most would like but that was the look I wanted. I didn’t want it to look like a truck with Mustang wheels. I wanted to maintain the truck look with a lower, tighter suspension. I think the 275/55/17’s fill the wheel well nicely.

It is a little hard to get an exact idea without the bed mounted but I think the amount of drop on both the front and rear will be pretty close to what I am looking for. I am sure the weight of the bed will push the back down slightly and probably raise the front just a little.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wicked.

now go smoke off those white letters on the tread!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals