• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Steering Inadequacy??

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently did a 302 swap into my 88 Ranger after my son blew the engine. I used the eng and accy drives including the power steering pump. There is no power steering at idle but as I drive it the power steering gets easier. Since the pump is from a vehicle with a rack and pinion and mine has a steering box, is the pump to small to run the steering box? Has anyone had this problem with this kind of eng swap? If so, how did you correct the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What was the pump originally for?

I have a 5.0 Explorer pump on mine and it works far better than the stock whiner ever thought about.

ty.thompson1981

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I had power steering issues as well from my swap. Not the same problem you are having but I eventually pulled the pump off all entirely and had a local junkyard order me up a manual steering box and pitman arm from an early 80s ranger. I installed them and no more steering issues. The manual steering is actually not bad at all. It's a little stiff at a dead stop but nothing impossible. As soon as u creep at all it feels like power steering. I couldn't be happier than trying to fight with power steering issues (leaking box, and not being able to find anyone to make me the correct power steering lines for the swap). Hope this helps.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have a metric pump a line for about a '90 Ranger will work. It worked on mine, no mess, no fuss.

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The pump I used came with the eng and accessories for the 97 explorer eng I swapped into it. Ive swapped out the pumps thinking mb the old pump was bad since it was a junkyard eng but it didnt change the issue. It is almost impossible to steer at a dead stop with the big tires I changed to. Do you think the steering box needs to be rebuilt? Any help would be appreciated.

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have a manual steering box and pitman arm. I could sell you if you'd paid shipping give me 40$ and it's yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals