• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump

madranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi ive got a 85 5.0 in my ranger with a motorcraft 2150 carb on it, been having a hell of time getting it to run right, its always seemed rich, i was told it was the fuel pump after adjusting the carb forever and it not helping, i put an inline fuel pump on there, its a holley fuel pump pushing 7-10 psi to the carb, is this too much?... what is the correct psi is should be going with to make it run right:icon_hornsup::headbang::icon_welder:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pressure doesn't sound too bad to me.

If you have the feedback system on it that isn't working correctly it can run really rich (mine did) and short of fixing that or making a manually ajustable metering block it is just kind of how it is going to be.

Best is to find a non feedback 1250 of similar size and install a duraspark ignition system if you don't have emissions to deal with.

If you have emissions to deal with... you are going to have a lot of entertainment trying to get a 30+yo Rube Goldberg EFI/carb system to pass.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That carb should be just fine. I don't know about your fuel pressure, I have always been under the impression that right around 5 or 6psi at most is where you want to be but as long as it's not pushing fuel past the float, it should be OK? Sure that's not what's happening or that the float is not adjusted right?

Beyond that I am not sure, those 2150s are stupid simple... the only one I ever had run really bad was when the float got stuck and fuel would pour out of the top vents and flood the engine. My buddy even had a 2150 on a Toyota 20R with a custom adapter, THAT was cool.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I only run around 2-3psi for my Qudra-Jet. Get you a adjustable fuel pressure regulator (I use a Mr. Gasket nline) adjust it until it clears out. Pretty simple.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With carbs the fuel pressure just keeps float bowl full, so unless float's needle valve is not stopping the flow IN it can't cause Rich running.
If float bowl is over flowing it can vent to the throat so very Rich running, lol

As long as needle valve can stop the flow fuel pressure under 10psi should be fine
Just turn on the key/fuel pump and watch inside the throat of carb to see if you see fuel dripping out of overflow.

With engine off/key on electric fuel pump is getting about 12.5volts, with engine running it will be getting 13.5 to 14.9 volts, alternator is on now.

So could pump be pushing out a higher pressure with engine running?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

madranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
not sure i think someone changed the motor to carb because it was in a derby car and probably just made things easier

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not sure i think someone changed the motor to carb because it was in a derby car and probably just made things easier
Oh, duh.

I saw '84 and 2150 and assumed 2.8, now I see you have a 5.0.

Either should work fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals