• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.73 to 4.10 swap advice please

fang619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
4 banger
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
im looking to swap out my stock 3.73 ring and pinion on my 7.5 axle to a 4.10 ring and pinion set, just wondering how high the difficulty level is on this project because i am not familiar with gear swaps, any advice or related postings would help:icon_surprised:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
MY ADVICE:
first off...... you need to do A LOT of research. i've never done it myself (i plan on it in a year or so). it's a very precise process that can require some very expensive tools.

read all the articles in the tech library, check out youtube and other forums/sites. pirate4x4 has a good one
http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

i'd consult some of the member's on here before you do it as well.

secondly......i wouldnt even bother with the swap for a few reasons. that axle is weak and sinking $$$ into it isnt worth it. it would really suck if you spent all that $$$ regearing and then you blow up the diff or snap an axle shaft.

you could probably find a 31 spline 8.8 with 4.10 gears and get it installed for less than (or maybe a little more) it would cost to buy just the gears for the 7.5. or if you wanted to keep the 7.5, you could probably find one with 410's already in it too

it really depends on what tire size you're running and how hard you beat on it (giggity)

fang619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
4 banger
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
yeah i did want the 8.8 axle but i wasnt sure if i would be biting off more than i could chew if i would have to mod the leaf and shock mounts on the 8.8
any idea if i could just swap the two axles out if i did find a 8.8 with 4:10 gears?
money is kindve tight right now and i was planning on getting some gears from cl for $100 and getting a master install kit also but it might just be cheaper to get a whole new axle hopefully

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I suggest getting an 8.8 Ex axle with 4.10s in it already from the u-pull. Cheapest and easiest. Moving the spring perches is much easier than installing gears.

fang619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
4 banger
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
would moving them just be cutting the factory welds and re welding them to the new postition?
im also worried about swapping out brake lines

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
good luck finding a 8.8 and a d35 with 4:10s. Im currently looking for one and i finally found one in Michigan. hell if im going to pay shipping.
They are very rare to find in a stock application. :annoyed:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah i did want the 8.8 axle but i wasnt sure if i would be biting off more than i could chew if i would have to mod the leaf and shock mounts on the 8.8
any idea if i could just swap the two axles out if i did find a 8.8 with 4:10 gears?
money is kindve tight right now and i was planning on getting some gears from cl for $100 and getting a master install kit also but it might just be cheaper to get a whole new axle hopefully
you'll have to grind off the old leaf spring perches, they are on the bottom on an explorer 8.8. if you go to a u-pull to get the axle, including paying someone to weld the new perches on, buying new perches and the purchase of the axle, you could probably do the swap for less than $100.

and yes, if you're careful, you can reuse the factory perches.

there's a good article on the swap in the tech library. but like disciple said, welding the spring perches on is way easier than learning to install a ring and pinion.

good luck finding a 8.8 and a d35 with 4:10s. Im currently looking for one and i finally found one in Michigan. hell if im going to pay shipping.
They are very rare to find in a stock application. :annoyed:
yeah they are, but he only needs an 8.8, unless it's a different vehicle that is under his avatar

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Junkyard here is full of them, but all the D35s are IFS. And he only needs the rear. Its 2wd.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your not going to find a 4:10 8.8 axle out there from an Explorer Rangers had them on special application only it's been said on here.There is quite a few 7.5 4:10s out there in mid 80s all were automatics My B2 came with one.The cheapest easiest way would be to buy one of those.

JPRanger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just out of curiosity, what prompted you to want to do the swap? Mounting larger tires?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your not going to find a 4:10 8.8 axle out there from an Explorer
sure you can! i have a 31 spline 8.8 with factory 4.10's and l/s sitting in my yard waiting to go in my truck. its even got disk brakes. you just gotta know where to look man.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ill be going from 3.55's to 4.10's on my 8.8

gonna do it when i do my input shaft seal and change my diff fluid.

i do alot of town driving, and even with my 235's it kills my gas mileage and power.
if i had anything other then a 4.0 id have to giver hell going anywhere.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i installed 4.10 gears on my 7.5" a while ago.
for what i saw(my cousin is a mechanic and he did the job, i was just helping) its not THAT hard at all.
it was a 3.73 and i got a set of 7.5" used 4.10 gears.
but i wont tell u to do it on your own because of that. maybe mine wasnt too difficult because we went from Ford oem to Ford oem.
id try to check with some mechanics, maybe someone could do the job without charging u a huge amount.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals