• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2WD to 4WD

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright well heres the situation. i have an 89 2.9 xlt 2wd ranger and im considering picking up a 91 2.9 5spd xlt 4wd with rust issues for the engine, trans, and transfercase.

now my original plan was just to toss everything in and use only the rear driveshaft till i get the money to do my solid axle swap.

BUT, i'm really, really tempted to take the ttb front end out of the 91 and run it for a while since it'll definitely be much better than 2wd, and from what i've been reading this 91 should have the "better" dana 35 (with d35 guts). plus the guy already has nice warn hubs on it. and, i'll already have all the parts :D

i know, its a pain in the ass switching crossmembers. but just how bad is it? if i have both of the motors out, is it just a matter of cutting rivets and swapping them, then welding or bolting it back in? or will i need to like spread the frame rails apart to get it out or any stupid crap like that? i know i'll have to re-route the front brake lines. no big deal, mine are starting to look sketchy anyways hahahah

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh and NO, im not putting my body on the 91 frame

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Pretty sure you have to spread the frame slightly to get it in... Basically, alot more of a PITA than buying a cheap 4x4... Anything can be done though!

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmmm well i dont really wanna risk tweaking anything and i dont wanna have to pull the cab either.

ill take a better look at how it's all put together tomorrow.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
2wd to 4wd is a big wast of money. This has been posted way too many times. Use the search button. Buy a real 4wd if you want one that bad.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1- no. and 2- i know people have posted this before but i have SPECIFIC questions that haven't been answered. and if im not willing to swap bodies, i'm obviously not willing to get an entire 4wd truck.

why waste youre time bitching at me if you can't even contribute?

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey no arguing, grown adults please... and your crossmember is the same. it shoud be a strait bolt in... but you need to change out the ibeam brackets. and if you are going from an auto to a 5 speed you need the pedals clutch master cyl and the neutral switch. but the trans crossmember is diffrent! no its the same ust the mount is diffrent. good luck

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
1- no. and 2- i know people have posted this before but i have SPECIFIC questions that haven't been answered. and if im not willing to swap bodies, i'm obviously not willing to get an entire 4wd truck.

why waste youre time bitching at me if you can't even contribute?
It's just been asked many times already.
Trying to do it stock is not worth the time and money because the front end of the frame is different. Easiest is really to use the 4x4 tranny, t-case, and driveshafts and do a SAS.

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm pretty sure it does not have a d35 if it is a 2.9. I think they only put the d35 in rangers with the 4.0. correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
oh and NO, im not putting my body on the 91 frame
i dont wanna have to pull the cab
don't be intimidated by the job, it's not too many things to disconnect, and i lifted mine in my driveway with basic tools, and mine is a BII which is waaaaaaaaay heavier than the cab of a ranger

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yeah, if you get 4 people with good backs and take your time getting the seats and stuff out, swapping cabs isn't really all that hard, that's what I did on mine...

the crossmember is welded and riveted to the frame... the frame rails are the same other than the boxed portion in front of the engine crossmember on the passenger side.

and for the record, all mid year '90 to '92 ranger 4x4's have real D35's, '93-97 was when they made the oddball hybrid's

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, answer this: Why are you unwilling to just throw your body on the 91 frame? Is that frame rotten, or do you just not want to do a body-off?

That has bearing on how you SHOULD go about doing this.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i think he covered that when he said this:
Yes, but I am looking for a better reason than "Because I don't want to".

There is a big difference between "I don't want to because I don't and that's why I'm not going the easy route" and "I have a legit reason for not wanting to take the cab off". Something like "My cab is so rusty I'm afraid it will fall apart if asked to support it's own weight for an hour," or "I'm afraid that my mechanical skills will be exceeded by this task and thus I will never trust my truck again," or "I don't have the manpower, money, equipment or time/backup vehicle to do this,".

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
It's just been asked many times already.
Trying to do it stock is not worth the time and money because the front end of the frame is different. Easiest is really to use the 4x4 tranny, t-case, and driveshafts and do a SAS.
^^^What he said and what we all have said about the swap!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals