• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

replacing 4banger for more power on a budget

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Looking to replace my 2.3l and now tired (350+K!)motor. Longer term project to beef up entire trucks capabilities for hauling and towing. Now looking at engine swaps that will not require a lot of customizing to work. Also being a 93 is an obd1 setup. Prefer to stay with ford power but open to other ideas as well. Thanks everyone!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Before undertaking any project of this nature I always recommend an extensive frame assessment to make sure you are not putting a more powerful engine on a rotting frame that will likely result in personal injury and debt...yes, debt! It costs way too much to do on a budget so either you've saved your money up or you borrow...

So...once you've ensured that the frame is sound...you can consider options that may be available for less money than buying a new truck (used)...and there are many! So...it depends on how much you want to spend...how good you are at negotiating and how fortunate you are at finding bonus deals...

Sometimes buying an entire truck gives you the best options because you can then swap everything you need without having to keep looking for parts that you need...like I did...and it became a total PITA...

But...anyway...your options are many...limited somewhat by what is available in your immediate area because shipping stuff is too expensive...

You didn't say whether it was regular or extended cab...that can be a deciding point for many people...but with the 2.3 it is likely a regular cab like the image in your avatar...and the reason why I suggested the frame inspection...looks like a bit of body rust...which may indicate frame rust...which means project redirections...and often lost resources...

EDIT: OK, I just blew up your truck...well, the image of your truck...and doesn't appear to be much rust on the outside...but check the frame regardless of that because I've seen some pretty good looking bodies on rusty frames...like my ex-girlfriend...oh, never mind that...

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1 ^^^

When you mentioned not alot of custom work and budget you pretty much ended most options for a bigger engine in your truck.
Sell the 2.3l Ranger and look for a similar year 4.0l Ranger and spend a little on it.

To do a swap you need the engine, trans, radiator, drive line, computer and wiring harness from donor vehicle, then you need to install motor mounts, trans mount and drive line(often needs to be modified)
This is assuming 2WD, if 4WD then add transfer case to the mix.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
As both replies above say it all, if you want a 4.0 swap you would have to replace the trans, rear end and the 4.0 motor swap would also require the electrics from the newer 4.0 motor. Not a simple swap as it seems. So better to buy another truck I good shape and play with it to see what you really need.

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
repower

First, this has always been a Florida truck, so very little rust (under front edge of hood). I have a 3.8 from a 2000 mustang with t5 tranny. I already know the kind of work that would take to put in. Plans to do an explorer rear end swap with springs and body mount for a 4wd to help lift for larger tires. (Changing gears for larger tires) all info from forum here. Frame has only surface rust from age.was interested in motors with low rpm torque, wanted for towing/ hauling. Anything out there in the aftermarket to match obd2 motor to obd1 vehicle?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, that's good to know as we can never tell the where or what from a post without finding more of your posts so always good to ask if not sure the status.

I wouldn't use the Mustang motor for what you want to do...diesels are best for low end grunt but too much work to swap them over...and won't be OBD compatible from what I've read...unless you go post 2010 and only on certain vehicles so you may want to contact your state monitoring group and clarify...which you may need to do regardless because some restrictions apply in some states such as putting in an older engine into a vehicle...and you may need to change the title for swapping...

Unless, of course, you already know somewhat about the rules for FL...

I would leave the suggestions to those with more experience...but I think the 4.0 would give you what you want as far as power...and since I'm considering going that route I would be interested in seeing your build...as well as the explorer gear swap which I am also contemplating...but pay special attention to the wiring...somewhere around 96 the harness changed to a more modular style and when I was preparing mine I had to cut the firewall in order to fit the connector...it was not an easy thing to do on an 88 but may be easier on a 93.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals