• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swapping a 8.8 rear from a explorer in my 88 ranger

Welpracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I finally got me a donor explorer to use the rear differential assembly out of. the explorer is a 99 eddie bauer edition 2wd. if I am reading the tags correctly it is a 8.8 with 4.10 gears and disc brakes.

I am going to install this in my 88 ranger. my ranger is equipped with 4.10 gearing previously in the 7.5 diff. what all will I have to change besides just bolting it in. will I need to do something different with the driveshaft or ujoints? how do I need to change my brake lines and do I need to swap the proportioning valve? anything else?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The spring perches need flipped and shock tabs added, unless you want 4 inches of drop in the rear.

Driveshaft will need a conversion joint, or replaced with a 91+shaft.

I swapped out my master cylinder for one from a non-ABS, non-cruise 95 Explorer. It bolted right up to the booster, but required some line adapters to work. It dealt with the proportioning issue.

Brakes lines are easy. Keep 100% of your existing line setup EXCEPT the following.

Get two right hand side brake hoses that go onto the calipers. These will go onto the hard lines coming out of your existing splitter block on top of the diff. Now the hard lines were meant to go all the way to the wheels, the hoses are about 8 inches long. You will need to take an appropriate amount off the hard lines and re-flare them. When I did the swap 4 years ago I was unable to fine hard lines of the correct length.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a pic of the 8.8 in my 84 (shows one way of doing your shock mounts).

I took it to a welding shop and told them what I needed for the pearches. They set the pinion angle up and put the new ones on top of the axle housing (they come with them under the housing). Its been a while, but if I remember right, I used the hardware from the Explorer (mine is out of a 91 though).
Dont let the spring pearches scare you away from doing the swap...

Welpracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
not scared of doing just trying to get my ducks in a row before I put her in the shop and go at it and make sure I got everything I need.

Welpracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so would I be able to just get a master cylinder from a auto parts store for non-ABS, non-cruise 95 Explorer it should work for me with out proportionating valve?

Welpracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
also where would everyone recommend getting spring perches from to weld on the top side of the axle?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
so would I be able to just get a master cylinder from a auto parts store for non-ABS, non-cruise 95 Explorer it should work for me with out proportionating valve?
That's what I did. I haven't had any issues 4 years in. You just need some line adapters on older Rangers. The Ranger always used double flares. The one port on the Ex uses a bubble flare with a bigger fitting.

Welpracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet thanks. Finally got time to crawl under the explorer today and saw what you were meaning by using 2 right side brake hoses and spring perches, and shock mounts like you said.

so again any body got a recommendation of where I should by leaf spring perches and shock mounts that I can weld onto my axle tubes?

the newer ranger drive shaft is a direct swap without modifications? is this true if so what years should I look into?

Last edited:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My local speed shop had the the perches for ~$11 for the pair & ~$14 for the shock mounts. You want a '91 (possibly '90 but definitely '91 at least) or newer drive shaft/pinion flange.

Welpracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My local speed shop had the the perches for ~$11 for the pair & ~$14 for the shock mounts. You want a '91 (possibly '90 but definitely '91 at least) or newer drive shaft/pinion flange.
they got a web page?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals