• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

so many CEL's new to rangers

90rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
update: So it appers that my old Crank sensor was actually hitting the reluctor wheel so I think that's what was causing my issues. I'm putting the truck back together now and will also be putting in a new clutch tonight. So hopefully this will be case closed and I'll have no more issues!

90rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just wanted to update this post in case anyone has a similar issue. The Cranshaft sensor was not the problem with my truck. It actually was the primary coil pack that was no longer functioning properly. It has been running fine since I installed it. If I end up having any more problems I will update accordingly!

90rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay, so I'm having more problems with this truck. It has ran great since being fixed last year this time. I've put 25,000 miles on it and I absolutely love this truck. The new problem is that about a month and half ago I had issues starting the truck after driving it for about 2 miles. it took me about 30 seconds of cranking to get it started with no other issues. all was fine until last saturday I pulled a small trailer with it and it towed just fine. I didn't drive it sunday and then on Monday I drove it and it felt like it had lost half its power. I also again on monday had issues with it starting. I was able to drive it still but was keeping it floored everywhere. And 5th gear wasn't even an option. Then I noticed that if you floor it right after releasing the clutch it will sputter and hesitate it just won't get out of its own way. But if you ease out on the clutch and slip it a lot it will take off fine, of course still underpowered. It at idle would have a very clear misfire and it idles at 1000rpm and slowy comes down to about 650ish. There are no vaccum leaks that I can tell. Through out the week it was losing even more powered until the point that it would go 55mph floored in 4th gear if I Was lucky. Today I took off work to tinker with it and replace some things and none of them worked. I checked the catlytic converter it is not the issue. I then again replaced the coil and ICM since I had life time warranties on them and they didn't fix it. Now my truck doesn't start at all. It is getting spark at the wires and is getting fuel. I can smell raw fuel that is not being burnt though. does anyone have any ideas? this is very frustrating. Tomorrow morning if I can't figure it out then I will unfortunately will have to buy a newer truck and keep it on the back burner or get it to the curb. Normally I have time to mess with things like this but I just don't this time and I love this truck its been very good. please help!!

edit!!! I should add that on cold days only around 15 degrees or so The cel will come and produces code 31 which is low evp? any ideas if this is connected?

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
it took me about 30 seconds of cranking to get it started with no other issues.

That is a fuel problem of some sort indication.

Check pressure regulator. You smell fuel ... could be evap or TOO much fuel.

Do you have a solid misfire? Or intermittent? One says check fuel & ignition components on one cylinder, the other says look a bit further afield as it may be multiple cylinders randomly, but they all have something in common.
Could you have icing in the intake? That would block air, cause hard starting, and possibly fuel smell. Ice would melt after a while, trickle into the intake or out past the throttle plate. If you have a 'stove' around the exhaust that feeds warmed air to the intake, check that the flapper is closed when running if it is real cold, or block it so you are getting 'heated' air all the time to see if that has an effect.
Icing can occur when it is a bit humid, not raining humid, but cold enough for the intake components to get too chilled and cause ice on the throttle or other parts. Does not happen much with EFI, as the fuel is not evaporating in the throttle body as in a carb.
tom

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My thoughts are fuel pressure regulator, pull the vacuum hose off of the regulator, if fuel comes out of there that is your problem. I agree with checking the fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure and regulator check out, you have an injector stuck open most likely. If it is an injector, take them out and find an injector shop, would be ~$100 to have them checked/cleaned, I've had to do that before.

90rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was leaning towards an injector as well. fuel pressure is fine and so is regulator I already checked that and like I said before it's getting spark at all cylinders. I'm doubtful of the icing part as the temperatures here in va the past few weeks have for the most part been above freezing even getting close to the 70s tomorrow. I went ahead and bought an 03 Mazda B4000 4x4 today. I've been wanting a 4.0 powered RBV so I used it as an excuse to pull the trigger. I'll try and mess it with some more if I get some time but I'm in the middle of restoring my old Trans Am and will be painting it here in the next couple of days so my garage will be full. BUT! if I find the problem I will report back like I did last time so anyone having a problem like this in the future can use it as a reference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals