• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87B2 Which wire is ignition wire?

tonymasone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1989
Make / Model
Ford/Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to find the ignition wire in the center column that goes hot when the key is turned to the on position. I'm having trouble searching for an answer because I get a lot of results pertaining to other parts of the ignition system.

Thanks!

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What are you callin the "center column? The steering column that the steering wheel attaches to?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
mines red/lt blue in my 85...might be the same but u never know. ive seen the same year rigs with different color wiring, never understood that:icon_confused:

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The 86 BII has 2 Gray/Yellow wires from the ignition switch that go +12v in run position. The R/LG wire is +12v in Run & maybe also in Start. 2 Yellow wires are Battery Hot. BK/LG is +12v in Accessory & in Run. R/LB is +12v in Start. BR/PK is also +12v in Start.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to find the ignition wire in the center column that goes hot when the key is turned to the on position.

If I understand correctly, you want hot to Ignition? From the ignition switch, the R/LG wire runs to the TFI module, the Ignition Coil, and EEC.

tonymasone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1989
Make / Model
Ford/Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all! Thanks for all the quick responses. Sorry I wasn't more specific, I was looking for the remote 12V that goes hot when you turn the key on. (On the steering column). I ended up taking a multi-meter to the connector and I found the one I needed. Trouble is in taking off the steering column cover I musta chafed a wire or something because now the turn signals don't work. I didn't cut any wires but I did notice some of the connection points for the Turn Signal/High/Low Beams looked pretty crumby like someone had been in there before.

Could anyone point me to a wiring diagram for my 87BII's lighting system. or let me know what color wires the following lights should be:

High Beams:
Low Beams:
Turn Signal Left/Right:

Sorry for the long post thanks guys.

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get a hayes repair manual from autozone, 20 bucks has all the diagrams in it

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Its probably just the connector if the combination switch was working before you messed with the wiring you probably just pulled the connector out of the turn signal switch.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello,
I agree you most likely bumped the connector on the steering column that plugs into the back of the blinker madule. I found the internal plastic fingers that hold the wires in were broken on mine and it caused all kinds of weird light issues until I found that. Had an extra connector but found those busted too. Ended up using a very small amount of epoxy to hold the wires in the connector. So far so good...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals