• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ranger 4.0 to 92 v8 5.0 bronco wiring help

Warwaggon92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
ok so heres the deal. i have a 92 ranger xlt that the engine died and i needed more power so i did the upgrade to the v8. found a donor vehicle that was a 92 ford bronco with an e4od trans.
all the wrench work is done. now its time to do the wiring, im using 80% of the bronco wiring harness (because of the e4od needs it being its electronically shifted and the dash/speedo from the bronco) . the only thing im not using is the steering column wires that actually go to blinker and all that and the rear wiring harness. and the door harness. this was an almost perfect donor vehicle.

so now comes time to splice. anyone is in nj or close to southern nj and wants to make a few bucks let me know.

so i basically need help with the color codes and what i should splice what where. (im an electrician however im a novice at dc and anything car related.). anyone here know where to start??? i know with the right info ill be able to get all the electric done in a day or 2. its just knowing what goes where.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Warwaggon92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I need the dash harness swap so I can use the e4od trans. I actually needed to use the speedometer of the Broncos because the trans works electronically. So I basically have to hook up the rear and the steering column to the right wires and everything else should work.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 1992 Bronco was first year of electric speedometer, learn something new every day

1992 and later Broncos upgraded to an electronic speedometer connected to a Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM). The speedometer cable and VSS were removed from the transfer case and the RABS Sensor on the rear differential became both the VSS and 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) Sensor. The AC Frequency signal goes through the ABS Module to the PSOM, for speedometer/odometer functions, and is then sent to the Cruise Control and PCM." by Seattle FSB
You will need the PSOM as the interface, it should be on the back of the speedometer and its output will go to speedo and PCM(computer)

Rangers got electronic speedos in 1995 but didn't use ABS sensor on rear axle until 1998

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals