• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel Bind

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 89 Ford Bronco II 4 wheel drive that I was given for free by my father in-law. Anyways apparently someone in the past put a 3" or so lift on this bronco. It has bigger springs in the front, and blocks in the back. It also has the offroad style shocks, and such on it. My question has to do with the steering. For some reason if you turn it hard left or right the wheels will begin to turn up under the suspension and then start hopping as if it is binding. What could cause this? Was there a drop bracket for the steering or something that should have been put on or something when the lift kit was done? Any info would be great!

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How big are your tires? I had a problem with my tires hitting my sway bar in the front with 31x10.50s on stock rims.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
First question - are you in 2wd with the hubs unlocked when this happens?

Second question - have you ever had it aligned?

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Surrey- I don't know the tire size right off the top of my head but I know they are not as big as a 31X10.50.

Shran-It seems to do it worse when its in 4 wheel with the hubs locked. We had a snowstorm where I live over the weekend and I was trying out the 4 wheel drive the night before on pavement just to make sure it worked and I discovered this problem. As long as you don't have to make a tight turn (like turning around in a cul-de-sac) it doesn't do it. Just when you have to make a tight turn. And it did great in the snow by the way....
I know it probably does need an alignment because in two wheel drive at hwy speeds it has a pretty bad vibration. Do you think and alignment could fix the turning problem?

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm, with shran sounds like your in 4x4.Put in 2 wheel get under there and see if the front drive line spins freely.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would check your sway bar and anything else in the area for signs of rubbing, ie. shiny spots on an otherwise dirty-looking bar.. Also check the edges of your tires for signs of bad wear.

My friend also had a similar problem, tires rubbing on full rotation, and a bit of tinkering with the alignment fixed that (Albeit, that was a toyota)

it did well in the snow, so I am assuming your 4x4 is engaging?

Also, I would assume it would bind more in 4x4 due to there being power to the front wheels, as apposed to them just rolling under the truck in 2wd?

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You should never use 4 wheel drive with the hubs locked on dry pavement, ever. Any amount of binding that you feel there is "normal" but NOT good. You will always get some bind with the wheels turned in 4 wheel drive.

If your camber or toe is not adjusted correctly it will also do stuff similar to what you mentioned and will wander all over the road.

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shran- I am new to 4 wheel drive so I didn't know that about pavement. I knew you couldn't drive long distances like that but I didn't know around the neigborhood would hurt. I am about to ask a real dumb question, but can I run 4H or 4L without the hubs locked? I thought they had to be locked. I am definitely going to get an alignment done in the near future to see if that fixes any of my problems. I figure $60 for an alignment won't break me.....

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yes, driving any distance on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive with the hubs locked is very bad for the whole drivetrain. Yes you can run in 4 high or 4 low with the hubs unlocked, it will basically be like being in 2wd or 2wd low range.

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the info. I am definitely going to get an alignment soon and see if that fixes the problems.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also check to make sure the radius arm brackets were dropped when the lift was instakked. If they are not lowered it will cause some really bad caster issues. Also check to see if they put a dropped pitman arm on the steering. Not having it willo cause some bad stuff too.
Paul

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I assume it has the proper brackets on it because it looks like it was all one kit made by Heckethorn. That is what the shocks and steering stabilizer say anyways and apparently that company is now called Rough Country from what research I have done. But I will still get under there and check to be sure. If it doesn't can you buy just the drop brackets and drop pittman arm?

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the info greasemonkey. I would have been lost since I got this thing if it wasn't for the great people on this forum!

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No problem man. The guys on here have helped me out a bunch too. That is what makes this such a great site, the people. The way I see it we need to help each other out, we are all lovers of great trucks but the info out there sometimes is vague so when someone has problems we all learn together and help each other. Glad to have been able to help any.
Paul.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals