• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wheel bearings

FRENCHMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused:

Hello everyone,

I'm going to replace my front wheel bearings inner / outer of the two sides

My first question.

with the torque wrench and the 2-3/8. with what strength I should tighten the bearings.?

I read this on a thread "An inch lb torque wrench adapters and management of 2-3/8". I first bearings tightened to 20 foot pounds while I rotor ... I then backtracked, and he has strengthened to 20 inch pounds (finger tight ... basically just advice from your doctor before fingers) "

I do not understand " I first bearings tightened to 20 foot pounds while I rotor ... I then backtracked, and he has strengthened to 20 inch pounds "

Please accept my apology for this

My second question

with what strength I should tighten the rear bearings

Thank you all for your help

:icon_cheers::icon_cheers::icon_cheers:

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
You do not tighten the rear bearings. If you would look at an exploded diagram, there are six bearings up front, and only two in the rear. Up front, you've got one on either side of the disc brake, and one inside the spindle. The ones on the disc brake are the ones that are tightened, they are both angled in towards each other, and the tighter the nut on them is, the less play they have. It's that play that you are setting to where it's just tight, but no more. The rear bearings are simple, both the inner and outer race are flat, there is nothing you can do to adjust them.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What that refers to is tighenting the inner of the 2 axle shaft nuts that hold the rotor and bearing on to the axle. They are the first thing you see when you slide off the hubs. That inner nut is tightend to finger tight while rotating the rotor so you know when the slack in the bearings is taken up. You don't want that too tight as it will put a heavy preload on the bearings and accelerate their wear. Take care of keeping the parts in the correct order so you reassemble in the correct order. Make sure the inner nut goes on with the pin facing you. Then put the washer with the holes on and line up one of the holes on to the pin sticking out from the inner nut. You may have to flip the washer around if it does not line up. The outer nut gets torqued pretty good. Can't recall the actual amount but is in the Chiltons or other manual. You can also look on Autozone's website as they have some pretty good repair manual sections as PDFs you can look at and print. As for the extension and torque. Yes your tourque wrench setting is rated to that torque with no extensions. However it is not so particular in this application if you need an extension on the torque wrench and you don't want to use a long one anyway as that 4 prong "socket" is a pain to keep on the nut anyway. Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals