Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 04-15-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
That.1.guy

I use this vehicle for: yard art.....
That.1.guy is on a distinguished road
Default carb to efi

going to be doing a turbo swap soon and was wanting to know the best efi to run its a 83 that came with the 2.0.
That.1.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Probably the best setup would be to get the tank and lines from an 85-88 2.3 truck, and get the rest of your stuff, engine included, from a T-bird.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
kishy

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
kishy is on a distinguished road

I rather thoroughly examined the option of putting 2.3 EFI gear on the existing 2.0: http://therangerstation.com/forums/s...d.php?t=175086

I found a complete donor 2.3 EFI engine instead, in the end (not installed yet though). But the discussion in that thread may be useful to you.

I believe significant work needs to be done to make the intake ports match up better before factory 2.3 EFI on the 2.0 would be a working thing, and other concerns. I would second the suggestion to just swap the whole engine unless you want to pick up where I left off.

Last edited by kishy; 04-19-2018 at 10:00 AM.
kishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
tomw

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: for everything
My credo: vertical and above ground
tomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura about

The 2.0 was added to appeal to meter-readers and the like, who carried no load, needed only to drive through neighborhoods with frequent stops.
I would not put a lot into a 2.0 Lima. The larger 2.3 and 2.5 are readily available and actually may get better economy and have more power. The 2.0 is overworked when any real load is put on it, so it must be working harder all the time, vs the 2.3/2.5 having more torque and hp, allowing them to be more 'relaxed' rather than near their max effort all the time.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
fastpakr
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1999
fastpakr has a spectacular aura aboutfastpakr has a spectacular aura aboutfastpakr has a spectacular aura about

I may be misreading this, but it doesn't appear to me that the OP wanted to use the 2.0 engine, just convert to EFI and install a 2.3 turbo.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishy View Post
I believe significant work needs to be done to make the intake ports match up better before factory 2.3 EFI on the 2.0 would be a working thing, and other concerns. I would second the suggestion to just swap the whole engine unless you want to pick up where I left off.
While you may be correct about this, the bigger issue in my mind is the significant work needed to be done to make the 2.0 stand up to boost. The forged kind of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpakr View Post
I may be misreading this, but it doesn't appear to me that the OP wanted to use the 2.0 engine, just convert to EFI and install a 2.3 turbo.
That may be the question that is being asked, but sometimes the answer to the question asked isn't the right answer to the problem.

He asked for the best EFI setup to run with a turbo swap. In this case the correct answer is to ditch the 2.0 completely and find a 2.3T that already has the right guts.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
fastpakr
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1999
fastpakr has a spectacular aura aboutfastpakr has a spectacular aura aboutfastpakr has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
That may be the question that is being asked, but sometimes the answer to the question asked isn't the right answer to the problem.

He asked for the best EFI setup to run with a turbo swap. In this case the correct answer is to ditch the 2.0 completely and find a 2.3T that already has the right guts.
Right - I didn't get the impression he wanted anything to do with a 2.0. Aren't we all (including the OP) essentially suggesting the same course of action - use a 2.3's EFI setup to get the wiring into a Ranger, then a 2.3T for the mechanical side?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
scotts90ranger

Vehicle Year: 1990
I use this vehicle for: holding down the driveway
scotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the rough

Next question is where in Oregon are you? I'm by McMinnville and very familiar with the turbo 2.3L setup...

Don't have the energy to go too into detail right now, but use the fuel injection stuff off of a normal turbo 2.3L, they're pretty simple, I imagine it could be wired into your Ranger without too much trouble. You will need the complete engine wiring harness from something with fuel injection (Ranger, Mustang or Thunderbird) preferably a 2.3L turbo but a NA will work as well. It would be simplest for '85-88 Ranger, I think pre '91 Mustang 2.3L (with a distributor) or '84-87 Thunderbird turbocoupe. The fuel system will need to be modified, will need a high pressure fuel pump and a return line added to the fuel tank somewhere.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #9
That.1.guy

I use this vehicle for: yard art.....
That.1.guy is on a distinguished road

correct. not using the 2.0. the truck has a 2.3 from a pinto i think. the carb on it needs replaced, so now is a good time to swap for future plans. but looks like any efi will work. project is slow due to budget need to sell some parts first.
also i'm in roseburg
That.1.guy is offline   Reply With Quote