• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck died suddenly. Won't start.

Ty S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I need car advice. Truck died coming into my driveway Saturday. Turns over but won't start. I changed the spark plugs and made sure I had spark. I do. When trying to start I can smell the fuel and fuelish haze comes out the airbox and smells like fuel so that seems fine. Trickle charged the battery. I'm a little stumped now. I've been reading online a lot. I checked my fuel inertia switch too which is fine. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2002 Ford ranger 4.0 auto.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Is sounds flooded...? If it turns, and you have spark and fuel, it should fire. Try the flood clear test. Kinda one of my favorites I've learned from here.

Foot the the floor in the gas pedal and turn the key. It should not fire, or even try to fire. If it does, that suggests you have a leaking or stuck open injector.

It's a quick and simple test, and will give you a start

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2002 ranger 4.0l is a 4.0l SOHC engine, so has a known Timing Chain issue.

Did you have a rattling noise in the engine for a while before this happened?
It can come and go at certain RPMs

The fact that a gas smell is coming out of the "air box" means air is being Push OUT of the engines Intake, not Pulled IN, which usually means valve timing is off or a bad intake valve.
You could remove the large air tube from the intake and put your hand over intakes opening while some one cranked the engine.
Your hand should be sucked toward the intake, if hand gets pushed away and wet with fuel then valve timing is off.

Because the 4.0l SOHC is an interference engine, Valves CAN hit pistons, I would do a compression test as soon as possible.
I think you will find both banks lower than they should be and one bank under 100
4.0l SOHC should have 170+ psi compression, cold engine all spark plugs removed test.

Engine needs to be removed to fix timing chains on this engine, there is one in the rear of the engine.

Last edited:

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
You ever figure it out? Or at least get it up an runnin'?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ty S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for no update boys! Timing chain failure. (Mechanic said "catastrophic") no timing chain rattle before it went so that sucked. There is now an 08 motor with half the miles transplanted into the truck. I should have it back tomorrow!

Ty S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
@RonD you're a smart man. I was in denial haha. The new motor had a compression test after it came out of the truck and they were all around 190-210. With the kms that the truck had it wasn't worth trying to rebuild the motor. I was better off buying the new motor for 800$ and having half the miles.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the update.

That's too bad about the original engine, the '08 engine will have the newer design timing chain setup so should be trouble free now

Ty S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it was an expensive fix. Getting the truck back today

Ty S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Who wants to guess which side the guides went berserk on? Chain seems to be fine still.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals