• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Holy friggin issues!

deranged88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been a member for some time now. Finally had something I'm in desperate need of help with.

I am working on a 1995 ranger 4.0 5 speed electronic 4x4.

So I picked up this truck a few days ago knowing it needed a lil love. Well Im balls deep in this thing now.
The starter was hooked up to a push button. Fuel pump is direct wired from the ignition under the column. Truck was wrecked at some point in its life and drivers bag is blown.

I've already figured out the push button ignition and deleted it. No idea why they had it since I hooked the solenoid back to the ignition and it worked just fine.

I'm stumped on the fuel pump. I have power at relay. I have 12 volts at inertia switch key on then drops to 6 volts. I haven't figured out which wire to test coming out of inertia switch to test for power. Hooking up my scan tool I'm getting a fuel system 1 cl fault amon gst other trouble codes that im massaging out.

I've attached 3 pictures. One of drivers kick panel floor harness where i found a cut light blue with white stripe wire. Another that had been cut but wired back together.
https://imageshack.us/i/poafrdJzj

Other pictures are of passenger kick panel where multiple wires have been cut and retied in. Some not to the same color. And 6 or 8 wires that are just cut.
https://imageshack.us/i/po3SVjCkj
https://imageshack.us/i/pnFlkm15j

The truck is missing the key fob and I only have a remade key to the igntion. I do get the 25 beeps once igntion is turned on. Drivers air bag had been deployed at some point. Would like to know how to fix that as well.
Can I just replace air bag or is there a sensor in the front fascia somewhere so I don't pop a new bag.

Also. Does anyone have any of the little warning light bulbs with sockets? I have a few that are missing. My guess is the instrument cluster lights up like a Christmas tree so previous owner removed the bulbs.

I'm sorry so many issues in one thread, but I didn't want to make multiple threads.
PHP:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What you are reading at the inertia switch is correct.
When key is turned on you should see 12v for a couple of seconds then it will drop to below 7volts.

It won't show 12v again until engine is started or you turn the key off and then on again, you should hear fuel pump running for those 2 seconds
The 6volts is monitor voltage from computer, low amps, won't run fuel pump.

Inertia switch is just a pass thru, should be the same voltage on both sides.
Green wire is from Fuel Pump relay(engine fuse box), Pink wire goes to fuel pump, in the tank.

You are suppose to replace the ECS(electronic crash sensor) module, in kick panel, and left and/or right impact sensor if damaged, behind grill.
If replacing a Deployed air bag

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Look around for a pick and pull yard in your area. I picked up dirt cheap a handful of the cluster bulbs and sockets out of one of the explorers I've been pulling parts from.

You can likely also pick up the ECS and the impact sensors as well. The P&P yards in NYS where I live are forbidden to sell air bags, so they get knifed when they get a car/truck in. That will be the key. If they have been knifed you'll be able to tell, and it's a safe bet the rest of the parts didn't activate. If the bags are hanging out like a used diaper? Pass.... (And for the record, it really sucks with that law. The wife has her 2001 Beetle and it's got a need for replacement front seats. The seats have side air bags....Picture a fantastic looking black leather seat, all knifed up along the sides. Really depressing.

S-

deranged88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm going out now to sift through more of the wires and solder the cut ones back together.
That's terrible about the airbags. I really did not know that. And the p.a.p. i completely forgot about them, but the closest is an hour away. Will be well worth the drive. They always have a bunch of rangers.

I'm still sorting the electronics to the fuel pump. 12v at relay and it cycles with key on. Inertia switch tests 12v key on and drops to 6v. I have no power to the red wire at the pump though.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is the Pink/black stripe wire at fuel pump that has 12v from inertia switch.

Yellow wire is for fuel gauge.
Other 2 wires are Grounds

Ford often uses orange and red wires as grounds, just FYI

deranged88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright. Fixed a few wires at the passenger kick panel. Still missing, what i believe to be, the dome light relay along with its plug. Also have 2 loose wires that don't seem to have a home.
I now have Power coming out of the inertia switch, but no power to pink/black wire at fuel pump.
Also, I have a glitchy relay in the box under the dash. 2 black with white stripe wires are remaing hot even with the ignition off. With that relay plugged in its also tripping the one above it.
Does anyone have a diagram on what relay does what? I've searched and searched. It's the box by driverside foot

deranged88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So it's the battery saver relay that's getting hotter than hell. Which the relay above that is interior lights. So go figure why they're both hot because all of my interior lights are gone or missing.

deranged88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yay. I got the fuel pump working off of its own system now. Found the broken wire under the truck. Got everything soldered and tucked back in the way it should be. Pretty excited it's coming together. I still need to clean up the srs hardware. Fix/replace missing fuses and connectors. Get new door striker switches. A 4x4 tcase motor. Replace a tie rod. Figure out the pops and creaks in the steering. Then tackle all of the check engine codes. Only one really bugging me right now is the cam sensor code.

rcfalcon56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Ambitious, but rubbish.
I was able to get the entire Ford repair manual from this site.

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/VSeC/9uALWv23h

It's a Russian site so use with care but after scanning and using the manual I've had no problems and it comes in very handy as it also has the part numbers listed if you need to go OEM parts for any reason. It also has the electrical diagrams so that should help you out some.

It looks like some voodoo mech made a mess of your wiring!

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That said, I just downloaded this, and seems fine.

Thanks for the link!

deranged88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So made a trip to the junkyard. I can't find a single truck that has everything in the passenger kick panel that mine does..
Also I purchased a 4x4 shift motor. My 4hi and 4low lights have been flashing for some time. I figured it was because there wasn't a motor. Well I plugged the motor in and no dice. I bench tested the motor and it spins freely. So stumped on that one.
I picked up most of the parts to fix my interior lights.
Replaced a tie rod and new rear universals. Noticed someone put in a one piece shaft and explorer rear axle at some point. Yay me I get to figure out what gear ratios I'm working with. Or just say f it and put in my expo 8.8 disc brake ls 4.10. Then trying to find gears for the front is a royal pain..
Also. Who knows where to get good springs for the rear. It currently has stacked blocks and worn leaf bushings. Makes for some fun on curvy roads. I've done the 64" swap on my 88 but only got 4.5" of lift. I would like 4.5" spring and combine that with a shackle. I would love to go completely blockless.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals