• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No/low cylinder pressure.

Duber15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cam bearings something that should be worried about with replacing the cam while it's apart?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Only times I would look at cam bearing replacement are very high mileage or a catastrophic failure internally on the motor and it made a shit load of metal. Inspect the bearings, and look at the journals on the cam you remove to look for scrapes or abnormal wear. Plus I am guessing you have the motor out on a stand if you are even debating on swapping cam bearings.

Duber15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Still in truck running now. Just thinking ahead. Doing some pipe dream planning.

Duber15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
After I did the compression test and found almost no pressure in cylinder #5, I unplugged #5 injector. Thought if it's a flat miss fire, didn't want to continue dumping unburnt fuel and give the chance of washing the rings. The truck runs worse with it disconnected, as expected. But with everything connected, it contributes a fair amount. Just not on the same level as the rest.

IF it is a burnt valve, are these classic symptoms?

Just hoping to diagnose it as accurately as possible before I make any considerable purchases. The ideal scenario would be to find a crashed explorer/4.0L ranger and rebuild a motor how I want while keeping the truck alive.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If that is the route you go I would do the cam bearings. If you are just doing a cam, no, if you are tearing the engine completely apart, yes.

Duber15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have am "ideal" parts list to make a stout/solid running 4.0? I've looked at tons of parts wondering what is the best combo if I were to do a complete rebuild on another motor.

Certain items would be new heavy casted heads, 422 cam and pushrods, hv oil pump, headers, clean the intake casting up and so on.

Duber15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've read that Web page, it's informative for factory style rebuilds. If I could go the rebuild route, I'd like some beneficial goodies while it's apart, or I could just repair only the issue and go on but that's not fun.

Duber15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals