• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Freakin wiring

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I been fighting my 98 2.5 5spd ranger for awhile with wiring the battery light keeps comin on and on a quite a few occasions it won't start until I monkey with the terminals I have had the battery and the alternator tested and there both fine I cleaned the terminals and reconnected them it goes out then cruze the highway and it comes back on then a few minutes later goes out I'm thinking a lose wire or poor connection somewhere anyone have any ideas??

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had a problem like this, i ended up going with boat style battery connectors, they have a wing nut on them so you dont have to undue the bolt every time you pull out the battery.

i always find that unhooking the battery alot just kills the connection, and then it wont stay tight enough.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Definitely sounds like a bad connection somewhere. If fiddling with the battery connections seems to help, start there.

Do you see any corrosion around the terminals? or on the strands of wire between the wire insulation and the clamp? If so, that needs to be fixed. Sometimes the wire starts corroding in these areas and degrades the connection where it's hard to see. Most reliable fix I know for that problem is a new cable. I don't trust those repair clamps where you stick the wire under a strap and tighten 2 screws. I've seen way too many of those get corroded and cause more trouble.

Also check for loose ground connections.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Yes it's the exact type of terminals the repair typ and the exposed wiring pretty fugly and funky

Here's my plan source a new set of cables and I can't find where the POS runs into the harness I was going to take a piece of copper pipe the same as or as close to the dia of the wire and center punch it inside to pipe and take the new cable and run it into the other side and lunch it then FL the pipe with solder and heat shrink it so I have more length and new cable then clean all my grounds

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals