Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
bttlscrs00x

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: garage decoration
bttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane96ranger View Post
I might get bashed for this, but oh well. I've noticed the generation (aka the I-pod generation) that is entering the workforce take zero pride in their work. To some degree, none of us were seasoned properly going into the real world. But these guys are absolutely unseasoned. Ask them to use a hammer, and they need a damn app for it.
I completely agree. There is no longer accountability. It's more about who you know than what you know. It's unfortunate because quality of service and product suffers.

It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place,
no matter by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. --Thomas Jefferson
bttlscrs00x is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
det107

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: DD, Hauling scrap metal
det107 is a name known to alldet107 is a name known to alldet107 is a name known to alldet107 is a name known to alldet107 is a name known to alldet107 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphrider-1 View Post
My nickname at work is "The Nazi" because I'm apparently too picky when it comes to CNC programs. Some seem to think +/-.0006" is okay when the tolerance is +/-.0002"
It depends on the company that orders the finished product. Sometimes the blueprint gives leeway on the tolerances.
I admire too picky people who want to "get it right" the first time....It saves $ in the long run-
det107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane96ranger View Post

Are they no longer requiring vocational classes in high schools?
No, it's worse than that.

They are pulling them to "save money for more important things". At least that's the story we are being given around here.

My kids are gonna be able to count from 7 to 24 before they can walk.

"Kid, daddy needs the 13mm wrench."

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
lil_Blue_Ford
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 95
Vehicle Model: F-150
I use this vehicle for: Work
lil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to lil_Blue_Ford

Oh the stories I could tell about workmanship (or rather the lack thereof).....

The part that really drives me up the wall is that so many people don't have a clue what quality is anymore and just go with the cheapest bid. I've had so many people that I have given bids to that come back and say "well so and so said he'd do the job for $$$$ less than you, why are you so expensive?" When you try to explain things and ask what the other guy is actually giving them for that price, you can literally see your words going in one ear, out the other, and falling uselessly on the counter beside them. And whatever you do, don't suggest that they should dare go look at examples of your work and the other guys...... (I always thought that people dropping $12k+ on a car would go look around instead of just picking the cheapest car on the market, why on earth nobody would go look at different concrete driveways before plunking down $20k on one is beyond my ability to grasp.)

It is frustrating to say the least. And a sure way to get my blood to start boiling is when I come to look at a job and right away the "customer" goes "well, you know the economy is bad right now so you have to give a good price....." Uhh.... right..... I'll just go see if Home Depot will buy that line and cut the price of lumber for your job by half....

Frickin Idiots.....

/rant
"Blue Ox" 1995 F-150 xl: 4.9L, 5-spd, 4x4
2000 Ranger Supercab xlt: 4.0, auto, 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Some people are too stupid to be in management. That's why they keep getting promoted.
lil_Blue_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
JFortner5

Vehicle Year: 99
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
JFortner5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_Blue_Ford View Post
It is frustrating to say the least. And a sure way to get my blood to start boiling is when I come to look at a job and right away the "customer" goes "well, you know the economy is bad right now so you have to give a good price....." Uhh.... right..... I'll just go see if Home Depot will buy that line and cut the price of lumber for your job by half....

Frickin Idiots.....

/rant
Yeah that is probably my favorite one too. I mean, I'm all for getting a good deal and not getting ripped off, but its like you say, you can't do a job for nothing. You have to buy parts and material, and thats all they want to pay for. We have to eat too people
JFortner5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
Dweano

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger XL
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driving/Off-Roading
Dweano will become famous soon enough

Well. I don't want to brag but I work with a roofing company that does GOOD work. Thing is...the company is composed of my friend, and my friends dad. My friends dad started roofing when he was 23. So he has been doing it a long time and knows how it is done, and my friend started roofing when he was like...12. The quality of work we do is top notch because my friends dad is the owner, CEO, boss, employee...everything. If the roof starts leaking...he can't blame someone higher up, can't make someone else do it. Blah blah...he fixes it because his company name is at stake. I like family businesses like that better then big businesses where blame can always be shifted and responsibility can be taken up by "someone else"
Dweano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
Ronv

Vehicle Year: 1994,2001
Vehicle Make: Ford Rangers S
Vehicle Model: Ranger,ext-cab 4-dr
I use this vehicle for: Daily Drive
Ronv is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with all the above!! I like the old saying,"If you cannot find the time to do a job right the first time WHERE do you find the time to do it OVER?

RonV
Ronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #18
triumphrider-1

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Pondering
triumphrider-1 is a jewel in the roughtriumphrider-1 is a jewel in the roughtriumphrider-1 is a jewel in the roughtriumphrider-1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by det107 View Post
It depends on the company that orders the finished product. Sometimes the blueprint gives leeway on the tolerances.
I admire too picky people who want to "get it right" the first time....It saves $ in the long run-
Our standard tolerances vary depending on the location of the cuts, but the important areas usually get a +.0002"/-.001" tolerance. Over the entire mold that .0004" difference (using my .0006" from previous post) will push the casting out of spec (we usually get requests from the customers for +/-1.5 grams) and can cost the company some cash/product performance over the life of the mold.

Quote:
I'll just go see if Home Depot will buy that line and cut the price of lumber for your job by half....
What, you mean they don't and you won't work for free?!?!?

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open" - Anna Pavlova
triumphrider-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #19
lil_Blue_Ford
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 95
Vehicle Model: F-150
I use this vehicle for: Work
lil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to lil_Blue_Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFortner5 View Post
Yeah that is probably my favorite one too. I mean, I'm all for getting a good deal and not getting ripped off, but its like you say, you can't do a job for nothing. You have to buy parts and material, and thats all they want to pay for. We have to eat too people
Yup, I've started telling the people that start really hammering about how bad the economy is that "I don't work for the exercise, I have plenty of things that I can work on for free at home."
"Blue Ox" 1995 F-150 xl: 4.9L, 5-spd, 4x4
2000 Ranger Supercab xlt: 4.0, auto, 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Some people are too stupid to be in management. That's why they keep getting promoted.
lil_Blue_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #20
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Mitsubishi/Ford
Vehicle Model: Montero Sport/Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Hauling ass, work, toy
My credo: Fortune Favors the Brave
Ranger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ranger Sport Honduras

Thats why i cant work for anyone else than me.
like Dweano said, its my own name and reputation on the line, so i give the best product i can.
and being that i sell food, i cant make mistakes.
Ranger Militia
Cardomain(All the trucks)
Ranger Sport Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote