• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger Replaced turn signal flasher, now won't start

Bmar.or

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New poster here and in uncharted waters.
I recently replaced my turn signal flasher with a wrong type. When I tried to start the Ranger it wouldn't turn over and had a clicking noise. After a few unsuccessful attempts I switched back to the old signal flasher and still no start. I bought a new and correct flasher and have my battery charged fully. Also, I replaced my terminals connecting to the battery. The truck was starting fine prior to my mishap.
Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

What engine in the '88?
2.3l
2.9l

What transmission?
manual or automatic

When you turn on the key do the dash lights come on like normal?

Follow the battery Positive cable, it will run to the Starter Relay(solenoid)
There will be other wires connected to the same post as the Battery Positive cable on this Relay
This post is the Power Distribution for the whole truck

There will be another large post on the Relay, it will have only 1 cable, it runs to Starter Motor

Then there will be a smaller post on this Relay, the "S" post/connector, it will have a Red wire with Blue stripe connected
This smaller wire comes from the Key switch and activates the Relay which activates the Starter Motor.

BUT.........between the key switch and this Relay is a Safety Switch, it prevents starter motor from working if transmission is in Gear
On a manual transmission this safety switch is on the Clutch pedal
On an automatic, the safety switch is on the transmission

If you have a manual trans and were working under the dash you may have unplug this safety switch, and even with an automatic they used the same wiring harness with a jumper on the connector under the dash

You can test if this is the problem.

MAKE SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trans is in Park or manual is in Neutral

Get a Jumper wire.
Put one end of the Jumper wire on the Positive battery post
Touch the other end of the Jumper wire to the "S" post(smaller post on Starter Relay)
Relay should "Click" closed and starter motor should start working

Now turn on the key
Repeat above to see if engine starts and runs

Bmar.or

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron,

2.9L Manual Transmission

I just tried what you said about using the jumper wire to the s post. It worked. The truck now starts up without any problems. Was there a switch to reset at the safety switch?

Thanks for the help

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The clutch pedal has a push rod connected to clutch Master cylinder
Safety switch is clamped onto that push rod.

When clutch pedal is pushed down all the way the switch closes and allows the 12volts from the ignition switch to pass thru to the "S" post on the starter relay

Drawing here: https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_CPP_1.jpg

Could be switch is broken, or wiring or switch got loose when you were replacing flasher

Bmar.or

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What initiated me switching out the signal flasher was the driver side rear turn signal isnt working. When the signal is on for left the front works fine. Also, the hazards work both front and back. The brake lights work also. Any ideas? THanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If truck has been wired for trailer lights check that wiring where it splices into rear truck wiring.

The turn signal lever on the steering column is called the Multi-Function switch

When you select Left turn signal TWO wires are connected to the Flasher
One wire goes to the dash board Left signal light and to the Front signal light
Other wire goes to rear turn signal light

So rear is not connected to dash signal or front signal, it is on its own wire

Usually that same wire is also used by the Brake lights, not sure on the 1988 but should be that way.
If left brake light works then most likely cause of no Left Rear turn signal is in the Multi-function switch.

I would have someone watch the brake lights
While you turn on the Left turn signal
If front and dash turn lights work(they flash) but Brake light on left side stays on then multi-function switch is failing

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals