• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headlight wires

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Build it, Break it, Re-build it stronger.
Ok, I have a 1992 Engine bay wiring harness and a 1989 Dash harness. The 89 had a 2.9 and I used the stuff from a 1992 ranger to do a 4.0 swap. everything works fine but when I switch on the head lights things don't work right. So I pulled both of the wiring harness (engine bay and under dash), and I under stand how the Engine bay wiring harness works and what colors are what, but what I cant figure out is for the under dash harness what wiring are for high beam and low beam, (I have been using this as a bases to work off ofhttp://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/WiringByColor.html but some things don't make sense like the wire that suppose to be for low beam the red and black goes to the steering column where you would click to turn on your high beams). I know I should be using Electrical Diagrams but I just don't understand them, call me dumb but they just look Spanish to me. I just need help wiring the wires from the head lights to the rights wires for the switch. I know I could just run a new switch but then I would have to run a switch for High beams, low beams, parking lights, and tail lights, or find one that does most of it.... I just need a little guidance...any help is VERY much appreciated. :dunno:

Last edited:

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If you have a 89 b2 and used a 92 4.0 harness everything should plug and play
The b2 and ranger use the same multi switch for lo beams and hi beams it also controls turn signals and hazard lights as well as windshield wiper delay

You need the entire 92 4.0 engine harness
Remove the old 2.9 harness the mainconnection is the big white plug, on the drivers side this houses all the headlight connections, then you remove the 2.9 engine harness that connects to the computer on the passenger side

Connect the 92 big white plug to the 89 bobwhite plug snake the engine harness where the old one goes and everything should be golden,
If your headlights aren't working I would check the grounds along the front core

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals