• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger 302 mustang block setup

rruel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello.
I've started tearing out the SB out of the 94 mustang planning to get new gt40 heads from an explorer but wondering if I need upgraded springs with my camshaft.
Also do I really need a short water pump and new pulleys just for clearance.
I wanna use electric fans with relay on radiator but I'm reading that I need a short water pump and new set of pulley to go with new water pump for belt alignment.
Can someone give me some info.
I've unbolted everything from the ranger 3.0 auto tranny.
The tranny from mustang is AODE.
Was inspected last week and I need a new one or rebuilt trying to stick to auto for the wife to drive as well
Any suggestions?

prymetime1

Reaction score
Hello.
I've started tearing out the SB out of the 94 mustang planning to get new gt40 heads from an explorer but wondering if I need upgraded springs with my camshaft.
Also do I really need a short water pump and new pulleys just for clearance.
I wanna use electric fans with relay on radiator but I'm reading that I need a short water pump and new set of pulley to go with new water pump for belt alignment.
Can someone give me some info.
I've unbolted everything from the ranger 3.0 auto tranny.
The tranny from mustang is AODE.
Was inspected last week and I need a new one or rebuilt trying to stick to auto for the wife to drive as well
Any suggestions?
Hey rruel. U should be ok with the mustang accessories, I think it's close to what the explorers use since it's serpentine. U can always mount the fan in front and push air thru....there's plenty of clearance if u do not have
The ac condensor in front of the radiator.
In regards to the valve spring, I do believe u want to change them out if u are using a different cam. I'm over on stangnet.com and there is TONS of threads over there related to mustang builds n advice..or just Google gt40 302 build. From what I read, many suggest trick flow stage 1 cam and upgraded springs and possibly rockers.

Good luck.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 94 mustang is already a short water pump/timing chain cover, my setup is 93 mustang and the front cover is longer to accommodate a mechanical fuel pump that 94 does not have, click my build link, plenty of clearance for serpentine belt and blower belt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5H7C7LBpPg&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

rruel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok good deal I'll start post pics
As fas as GT 40 heads
And stock mustang cam.
This should work
Just need to upgrade springs
This is a complete budget build
I've already got the upper and lower intake off the explorer hoping to get more flow.
Good deal on the water pump then I just bought a new one.
But timing cover broke waiting to get a new one on that.

rruel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Another thing guys on the article ranger v8 swap it says that an explorer with a v8 5.0 radiator will be a "direct fit"
Can someone tell me if this is surely true before I head to a junk yard and yank out a good radiator and slap it in my 94 ranger?

rruel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Better yet which radiator out will best directly fit the 94 ranger with my 302 block

prymetime1

Reaction score
94 explorer 4.0 two row radiator for automatic with ac should do the trick. Be aware that the top bolts in perfectly, but the lower rad support needs to be removed and lowered so this radiator can fit correctly.

rruel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Great
Thanks for the advice
So there's no point in getting the radiator from a 5.0 then huh?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals