• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering shaft coupling

phybere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '94 4x4 ranger, and need to replace the rag-joint in the steering shaft. The price from ford is $200, so I bought just the rubber bushing after-market for $10 or so, but now I've found it's the wrong size.:mad: Does anybody know what size is required, if it's made, or where to find it?
If this doesn't work I'll probably try to find one in a junk yard. (I've also seen it mentioned that an aerostar u-joint fits a ranger, anyone know the details?)
Thanks

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
$200 is a ripoff, and the u-joint is a better system IMO anyways. I don't know about the years on the aerostar, but I'm pretty sure they're all the same. When I pulled mine, there were a TON of aerostars in the junkyard, and they all had the exact same setup.

phybere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you replace the rangers steering shaft with the aerostars, or does the aerostar u-joint fit on the ranger steering shaft?

phybere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Went to the junkyard today and was looking at a '91 aerostar's u-joint: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/phybere/?action=view&current=aerostar.jpg

I'm not sure if it will work in place of my ranger rag joint which looks like this: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/phybere/?action=view&current=ranger.jpg

The ranger lower steering shaft is square, while the aerostars is round (semi-square where it goes into the u-joint)

To those who have done this, do you just crank down the bolt on the u-joint to tighten it around the square steering shaft? Also, how did you remove the bracket that's attached to the rangers lower steering shaft?

If anyone has a picture of one of these in their ranger I'd appreciate it if they would post it

Thanks

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Went to the junkyard today and was looking at a '91 aerostar's u-joint: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/phybere/?action=view&current=aerostar.jpg

I'm not sure if it will work in place of my ranger rag joint which looks like this: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/phybere/?action=view&current=ranger.jpg

The ranger lower steering shaft is square, while the aerostars is round (semi-square where it goes into the u-joint)

To those who have done this, do you just crank down the bolt on the u-joint to tighten it around the square steering shaft? Also, how did you remove the bracket that's attached to the rangers lower steering shaft?

If anyone has a picture of one of these in their ranger I'd appreciate it if they would post it

Thanks
Hi, I'm reviving this thread since I'm going throught the same problem right now. The rag joint on the upper part of my steering shaft is pretty much gone.

Did you ever install the aerostar shaft into your truck?

I got an shaft from an F150 that has a U-joint for the upper part, was thinking to have this welded to my shaft in replacement of the rag joint coupling but I don't know if this is safe or not... any comments/suggestions?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is an absolutely critical safety system in the truck. It is a single point of failure; if the weld gives, you (and anyone unlucky enough to be around you) are in some serious trouble. If it has not been reliability-tested in any particular configuration (which includes welds), do NOT use them.

I've seen folks maimed by redneck repairs like you are proposing. Don't go there. You can try to find a good one at the junkyard, or if the Help! replacement joints don't work, bend over and do it right.

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advice. I actually made thew fix yesterday using the help! rag joint replacement. Had to use a different screw/nut/bushing configuration though, and red loctite just to be sure it will stay in one piece. The feel has improved a lot and I will re-check in a couple of days and weekly for a while to make sure it's holding up as intended.

Couple of pics:

View attachment 1020

View attachment 1021

Again, any comments on this setup are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you have to drill out the old bolts that hold the rag joint in?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals