• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with tranny problem please

tmg1018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We dropped the tranny to replace the slave and clutch. We had the flywheel resurfaced and we reinstalled that as well.
The problem now is that we cant seem to get the bell housing close enough to the engine block to rethread the bolts to put it all back together.

We thought maybe the splines where not lined up perfectly so we turned the clutch fan while trying to push the tranny towards the engine. We can get the bolts lined up but we still have about a 1 1/2 inch gap between the bellhousing and the engine block all the way around.

It does not appear to have anything holding it up on the outside and we can not figure out what else besides the splines that would hold it up inside.

Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like the clutch disk isn't lined up properly.Did you use a little plastic guide to get it true.

tmg1018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep we used the clutch alignment tool that came with the clutch kit. We even took it all back down and plugged it in there again to make sure after we couldnt get it put together.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
have you checked that the pilot bearing isn't crooked?

tmg1018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it seams to be in straight. We were able to get the alignment tool in there still so that makes me think its not crooked. Im so confused. Seems like it should slide right together but it wont budge.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
make sure its in gear, and turn the output shaft while rocking back and forth up and down and all around and pushing towards the front of the rig. yea its a bitch. i dick'd around for 2 hours when i put the fm146 in. had the fawkn trans in neutral and couldnt get the splines line up. was turning the output but the input shaft wasnt turning. also make sure the rear of the trans isnt to high or low when u are trying to do it. it will bind and not go in. it takes some patience. btw not only are u pushing to line up the splines, the spring on the slave/t-out bearing puts pressure to, so theres alot of resistance. whatever u do please dont put the bolts or longer ones in and try to "pull" the trans up to the motor like that

btw did u put a tiny bit of grease on the splines? that makes it worlds easier. just keep at it, mine was the same way. got it about an inch from the motor and couldnt get it any closer

tmg1018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That is exactly what we have run into. Been turning the output shaft and the input has not been moving at all. We literally worked on it for about 9 hrs today, just trying to get that darn thing back on. We will try your suggestion tomorrow and hope that it does the trick.
Thanks

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate it when things go that way.When I get them in it's in gear and man handle them while I wiggle it in.Have you checked to see if the splines in the tool are the same as your tranny.In other words did you make sure you have the proper clutch disk have you ever slide it on your tranny splines.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I had to put up a tranny in my friends 98 ranger, we put a jack and block of wood on the back side of the engine because it "twists" in the mounts without the tranny crossmember to support it. We pushed the back of the engine up about 1 + or - inches and she slipped up rather easy.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I had to put up a tranny in my friends 98 ranger, we put a jack and block of wood on the back side of the engine because it "twists" in the mounts without the tranny crossmember to support it. We pushed the back of the engine up about 1 + or - inches and she slipped up rather easy.
I've done this and with a 2" BL was able to take the top off the tranny in the car.If it hits the top that would help a lot.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had this problem doing my A4LD to M5OD swap. I had the forthought to do a 2" body lift before I tackled this. It made a lot of difference in the manueverability of the M5OD while trying to stab it on.
It only took me 4 hrs and some choice words, and some stress breaks, and some prybars to finally discover the perfect angle to get it to slip right in. It seams the engine tilts forward when there is no tranny holding it straight. ( had to lift the tranny higher than I thought I should have)

You might be able to LIGHTLY lift the front of the engine to lower the rear, so the tranny will align.

tmg1018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
WOOHOO! We got it all put back together today and got it on the road.

We were finally able to get the tranny back on yesterday afternoon and went to the next step of bleeding the hydraulic clutch. Well we ran into another problem, the NEW slave was bad and leaked immediatley. So of course the entire thing had to come off again.
Thanks to some of the best guys on the planet (lroy and my good friend James) the tranny got dropped AGAIN and the new slave installed. Those guys got that tranny back up and into place in just 30 min! Such a great feeling when that bellhousing went into place against the block! YEAH

Got it bled and then was able to finally take her for a spin. Oh that felt good

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Especially you Craig, you ROCK! Thank you so much for coming over and helping out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals