• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 blowing oil out dip stick

Jamessprouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 89 2.9 4x4 blowing oil out dip stick have changed Pcv valve and breather valve also oil fill cap truck runs very strong and plenty of power no smoke at all any ideas need help on this one . Where is this blow by coming from and any ideas on stoping it runs still like its brand new so not sure if blown or bad rings ?? :bawling:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is coming from blow-by, so rings on at least one cylinder are not holding "explosion pressure" very well.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
When I first noticed this on my 2.0 I tried engine flush...did NOT help the 2.0...in fact, it almost killed it...think I cleaned out all the gunk that was making the engine work...

I drove it like that for a while and cost me a small fortune in oil...and additives...so once you see that I'd have to recommend considering either rebuilding the bottom end (before it destroys the top end from lack of oil) or replacing the engine...

Like RonD said...probably wonky rings...especially compression rings as they help keep the pressure out of the bottom end...could only be one cylinder so maybe do a compression test to check it...

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
All engines have some blow by..... A bad PCV valve can cause cause an engine to blow oil out of strange places.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
True, but the OP said he changed the PCV...it might be wonky, even though new, or may have a vac leak that will essentially shut the PCV and cause excess pressure to build up...

I'm not familiar with how the PCV system works on the 2.9 but the 2.3 exits directly from the lower part of the engine through a hole in the block...where the it routes up to where the PCV valve sits.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
True, but the OP said he changed the PCV...it might be wonky, even though new, or may have a vac leak that will essentially shut the PCV and cause excess pressure to build up....
Oops, I need to read better!! Maybe a plugged PCV or breather line? I would think that enough blowby to push it past the dipstick would be showing other symptons.
Ed

Last edited:

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
The first 302 I put in my Ranger would do this at higher rpm's. When it was tore down to do the 347 we found the number 5 cylinder had a bad scratch in it (back to the rings not sealing). Had to bore it .040 over to get it out. It doesnt blow oil out the dipstick no more.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
True, but the OP said he changed the PCV...it might be wonky, even though new, or may have a vac leak that will essentially shut the PCV and cause excess pressure to build up...

I'm not familiar with how the PCV system works on the 2.9 but the 2.3 exits directly from the lower part of the engine through a hole in the block...where the it routes up to where the PCV valve sits.
The PCV valve goes into the valve cover. There is a baffle in the manifold cover opposite the PCV valve that I expect is there to keep oil from splashing directly to the valve and getting sucked out.

I know on mine there is a bunch of crap that accumulated up on that baffle. I suppose there could be enough crap up there to perhaps interfere with the PCV valve.

It is also possible for the vacuum line from the PCV valve to have become clogged and if that is the case it can't do its job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals