• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.8 swap?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If you want to do a 3.8 swap, go for it. Doesn't seem worth it to me, it isn't enough of a power increase to justify the work involved in doing the swap.

A Carb'd 302 would be the same amount of work, and will give you enough torque to do anything.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i WOULD LOVE THE 3.8 IN A B2 but its a little more involved, If you want to do the supercharged version, it must be pre-98 with the single port intake to fit the m90 eaton. Otherwise you need a dual port adapter plate, which in this case you might as well go with a m12 eaton. I highly highly highly recommend if you do this 3.8 swap you use a 4.2 crank with 351W connecting rods. Simple stroker kit. The 4.3 crank is the same dimensions with a longer reach than the 3.8 crank and stronger. If you dont do the 4.2 crank then at least use hte supercoupe crank off the supercoupe 3.8l supercharged engine, its way stronger and will handle up to 500 hp. Not on Hp more though. ANd 500 is pushing it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Who here has done this swap? I'm interested in whether it seemed worth it after it was done? Enough power now? Economy? Ease of this swap?
Not worth it

Even better, has anyone swapped in the supercharded version?

Doubly not worth it.

The 3.8 is prone to warping heads. The super charged version is prone to warping heads and only has about 15 extra hp available to the wheels. The supercoupe blower makes 35 HP, and produces a drag of about 20 on the engine.

If you are really looking to do this swap upgrade. The 4.2 is basically the same engine (taller deck) but much more sound. More power, rivaling the 4.6, decent economy, and they don't warp heads.

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
does everyone remember . . carbureted please. As for comparing power, also remember, we are talking about the 2.8 vs the 3.8. Have you ever owned a 2.8?? yikes!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You should really fill in your truck info in your profile dude. That way we all know what we are comparing to. Also, most of us don't have a tally sheet of who is vehemently opposed to FI in their truck (although I do remember you saying something about that in a previous post now).

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Its far from wort the effort of installing a FI system. My Bronco, although I like it, is way down on the list as far as time given it as a project. In no way would I sacrifice another car of mine so I could do a FI install. I would rather do something else to one of my other vehicles. I have a 302HO on a stand I could install and may someday. But just looking at other options.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On an already carbed truck, I agree, not worth the effort of FI unless that is your goal for the project. That's why you should fill in your details. Most of us have this assumption in the back of our heads that almost everything is FI, unless we see that it isn't.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I've done FI conversions, its just I have visions for the vehicles I do, and FI isn't on the Bronco list. I'd like to do a FI conversion on a 60-63 Falcon or a 57-60 F100 . . . . . something like that :) Anyway here's a few pics of my Bronco . . its not done and just sits most of the time. If you look at the site, you'll see some of my other stuff an some customer vehicles as well.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/listing/user/petesponies

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals