• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help- Bizare abs and speedo issues, replaced dif sensor

Dragonlich1961

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i've got a 2000 ford ranger 2.3 5 speed basemodel. truck is stock.
Couple weeks ago, it stated haveing a few issues. Abs light kicked on, and speedo acted weird. It is fine on acceleration but anytime you hit the brakes, even if only enough to trigger the brake switch, the speedometer pegs to zero.

i've replaced the rear dif sensor, and it is still acting up.
the speedometer also seams to resond to the turnsignal activation, and is now off calibration on aceleration. like 15 over off calibration.

The truck is not in my posision at this time. It's my gf's and im 7hrs away at college. i work on it when i get a chance to get home so, this might take a while.

Thaks Chris. this Truck was abused before i came into posesion, i mean abused. 185k i've had to rebuild front suspension with bj's bearings rotors. Pulled off orginal shocks(4) plugs wires and clutch at 180K.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have 4 wheel ABS then problem could be in the ABS module

If just rear ABS, which is most likely on base model, then GEM module process's the VSS sensor signal, adjusts it for tire size and passes that on to the speedometer, cruise control, computer and RearABS

GEM module also has brake light switch input.

So could be GEM module issue.

when speedo stops, brake lights on, does odometer also stop?
they share the same signal
so issue could just be speedometer
but then ABS light would not be on

Dragonlich1961

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Where would this Gem module be located and how do i test it.

what does the gem module do excatly?
one more symtom I have been told exists, i have not experienced this yet, When ever the abs light is on, normal braking happens. when the abs light is off it seams that the pedal get hard and won't travel any farther.

I 'm trying my best to get this thing working and to provide as much info as i can but the truck is 300 miles away and i can only visit ocasionally while at college

Thanks, chris

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No way to test a GEM as far as I know.
GEM(general electronic module) replaced several separate relays and modules

It's parameters are here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1725290

What it controls is specific to the vehicles factory options.

Usual location is behind the radio, not sure on a 2000 2.3l

Last symptom reads like power booster is not working at times, which is not an electronic part so ABS light or GEM couldn't effect it.

Dragonlich1961

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i've replaced the booster once this whole deal started becuased i noticed a whoosing noise on pedal depression. still doen't explain how it's tied to the abs light. new booster fixed the noise but speedo, abs and physical brake problem still exist.

I have no idea when to locate this GEM module i'll start looking

Chris

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The GEM was doing a bunch of weird stuff on my GD's 02. Locking/unlocking doors when turned the key to on or off, intermittent wipers coming on by themselves, just weird stuff. Anyway, battery was really old (11 yrs and just around 12v when sitting). Disconnected battery for about an hour while getting a new one. After replacing the battery all the weird GEM stuff stopped. That was over 2 yrs ago.

Just saying........... No clue about your truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals