• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seat Swap Questions

Damon Toth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a set of 1994 Explorer full power bucket seat to install in my 1989 ranger supercab. The explorer seat brackets do not line up with the ranger floor pan, has any one completed this swap and have pictures showing how they were mounted?
I have search and have not found any thing that has photos.

Thanks

Damon Toth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
If I switch the seat tracks I lose the power motors and functions.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 and the seats from explorer bolted right in. I also bought seats from and eddie baurer edition so I could add power seat for passenger, but the 1st set were nicer so I just bolted the better seat to the power rails.

Now the cab floors may (probably are) different so you just might have to drill new holes and fabricate what ya need to make them work. Dont know what the cabs of the older models are like. did ya check the tech section they have a seat interchange there.

Damon Toth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
yes, I thought that all supercab floors and seat tracks were the same. I know that the 1989 rangers did come with the manual buckets with power lumbar and side bolsters, but not power tracks, these seats are hard to come by.

Thanks for the replies

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to make this bolt-in happen, you need to go to a pick-a-part and find a mid-90s (93 and up) ranger. If you dig down (remove seats & carpet) you will find a cross-mounted sheet-metal hump spotwelded to the floor where the front of the seat bracket bolts go in. Drill the spotwelds, take the hump back to your Ranger, and temporarily bolt in the new seats to locate where the hump has to sit (remember to allow for carpet/floormat thickness. Tak the hump in place, then remove the seats and anything else flammable and weld down the hump. Your seats should now be bolt-in.

I did this to put mid-90s buckets in my '91

Damon Toth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info, I now what to look for.

Oldog4tz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just put buckets from a 2000 Explorer into my 97 XL. Easy short afternoon project. Locating the rails took awhile. Reading the threads, I knew that I needed 93-97 rails. What wasn't clear was that 60/40 rails are fine. Locating a 60/40 donor seat was much easier, and i picnpulled them this morning for $15. Now just need a console

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want to make this bolt-in happen, you need to go to a pick-a-part and find a mid-90s (93 and up) ranger. If you dig down (remove seats & carpet) you will find a cross-mounted sheet-metal hump spotwelded to the floor where the front of the seat bracket bolts go in. Drill the spotwelds, take the hump back to your Ranger, and temporarily bolt in the new seats to locate where the hump has to sit (remember to allow for carpet/floormat thickness. Tak the hump in place, then remove the seats and anything else flammable and weld down the hump. Your seats should now be bolt-in.

I did this to put mid-90s buckets in my '91
Or find seat brackets out of a second gen scab with buckets or 60/40 split bench and put them on the Explorer seats.

I have tracks out of a '91 (std cab 60/40) in my '85 (std cab) and Explorer buckets bolted right on them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals