• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ECU Toast ?

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think my ecu on my 1992 Ranger is toast, I am getting a no start, and I have manually checked all my components to see if anything was toast, starter works, fuel pump works, all the relays work, fuses are fine the one thing that was not getting power is the plug for the clutch sensor (I have manual transmission M50D)

Essentially now when I put the key in the start position the lights on the dash come up, but fuel pump does not prime, and when I turn the key to start I get nothing.

Thoughts ???

Also are there any ECU's that are cross compatible with the Rangers, the code under the bar code is F17F-12A650-JA

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked the computer relay? Have someone turn the key on while you listen to the relay. Put a long screwdriver tip on the relay and put your ear on the handle.

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I checked all of them, I have a sneaky suspicion the ecu has gone bad, as the previous owner had gotten the ecu wet

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Or possibly a corroded connector. Did you swap the fuel pump and EEC relays? They should be the same part!

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
|I will recheck it, where was that relay again, was it on the passenger side under the fuse box ?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Also check all of the grounds take them apart and sand metal to metal the computer should have a couple of them. I like to do them one at a time so you know where the problem was. If you do a bunch of stuff you have no reference for future issues?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have a schematic? All of the sensers should have a 5 volt reference voltage, If the computer is getting voltage in but nothing coming out yes the ecm is probably toast. Dont buy another computer until you confirm that one is faulty.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I would think the fuel pump and EEC relays are right next to each other.. Do you have a power distribution box under the hood?

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes it is on the passenger side

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought the ecu in my 85 went bad a while back and I shelled out like a hundred bucks to AutoZone to get a reman'd only to realize it was actually a shorted wire that had popped. Mine was the power wire coming out of the ecu relay. I would suggest sniffing around for any burnt electronics smell. Also checking voltage like kimcrwbr1 mentioned before you fork out any cash looking for an unknown problem.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals