• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger Stalling at highway speeds and fuel pump shutting off

trashymonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 6 cylinder 4.0L Automatic, I've been driving this truck for about 6 months now, and haven't had a problem like this until about 2 weeks ago. While driving at about 55 MPH or higher the truck begins to miss and then it will just completely stall out. Power steering will shut off and the brakes will tighten up as if the truck was shut off by the key. After pulling over I noticed that the fuel pump wont come on when the key is turned in the ignition and usually won't start for about 30 minutes or until I roll the truck forward in neutral, but rolling it doesn't always do the trick. This happens more increasingly at Highway speeds of 70 MPH (3100 RPMs). The fuel pump is only 4 months old and I just replaced the fuel filter after the first time it stalled. it seems to happen no matter what I do while driving it, such as accelerating and decelerating.
If anyone has any idea of what would be causing this It would be greatly appreciated because money is tight and I don't have another vehicle. Thanks in advance.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Weird did you clean the tank with the pump? And what brand? Crappy brands can go bad pretty quick I've noticed

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Loss of power at highway speeds can be collapsed Cat or muffler causing restricted exhaust flow, but at lower RPMs engine would be back to normal so shouldn't stall.

Fuel pump shutting off could be Fuel Pump Relay.
In my '94 the relay is in the Power box in engine compartment, not sure on '93, could be under the Power box, if so it is the Relay with the Green Base/Plug
The EEC relay(brown base/plug) powers the computer, injectors, coil and fuel pump relay, if this relay cut out engine would stall out as well, and no fuel pump power with key on.

And yes, some have reported early failure on 3rd party fuel pumps, pump motor could be overheating and shutting off, they often use bi-metal circuit breakers in the motor which opens at high temp then closes again after cooling off, so a self resetting circuit breaker, but they don't reset forever, after a few times they won't reconnect circuit, it is a fail safe for unusual circumstances.

I assume the dash lights all work after shut down so it isn't a battery/alternator power issue

Last edited:

trashymonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
According to my dad the Fuel pump relay was replaced already, and yes you are correct, about the dash lights, power is not being loss to the rest of the truck, just the fuel pump. It could very well be the fuel pump kicking the bucket, I bought an autozone fuel pump and I had bad experiences witht heir seals. I had to replace every seal we put in the truck since we rebuilt the engine in march. We're going to go ahead and replace the fuel pump and check the wire harness for shorts. thanks for your time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals