• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 engine rattle

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
https://vimeo.com/110330302

Sorry this video quality is pretty bad but I feel like you can hear it pretty well. It's that rattly noise, I'm in second at about 2500 or so rpms with my foot barely on the gas, 1/8 throttle or less.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like something in the drive train. have you blocked the whole truck up and climbed under and physically beat on things with your hands and a rubber mallet looking for a rattle? or been under a properly supported frame with it running to listen?

these are what i would be doing..... in the engine?? i would say no. but have been known to be wrong before.

noises over the interwebs are hard to pinpoint.

cheers

Z_o-s-o

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im gonna go out on a limb and say that sounds like a rod bearing.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Im gonna go out on a limb and say that sounds like a rod bearing.

Idk I have inspected the filter even shown a machinist and there's no bearing material, no rod knocking at idle when listening underneath. I could be wrong though, it's weird it seems drivetrain but I hear it mainly in the engine, can get it to do it in neutral, so it also doesn't seem drivetrain related, it's very weird...

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
sounds like something in the drive train. have you blocked the whole truck up and climbed under and physically beat on things with your hands and a rubber mallet looking for a rattle? or been under a properly supported frame with it running to listen?

these are what i would be doing..... in the engine?? i would say no. but have been known to be wrong before.

noises over the interwebs are hard to pinpoint.

cheers

I have with my hands but not a mallet, I've taken my truck apart too many times haha everything is tight, it sucks I can't pinpoint it! The noise happened immediately after I swapped the different motor in, fired it up and drove it around when it was finished and I started hearing that noise.

If I haven't mentioned it's also related to engine temp, cold engine no noise, I still think it's somewhat oil pressure related

Last edited:

Z_o-s-o

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
See that screams rod bearing to me. No noise when its cold, and when its hot it's making that erratic rattling noise at 2500rpm??? Rod bearing.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah that sucks.. Idk It's been doing it for 8 months and who knows how long before that when the engine was in another rig, I don't see how if a rod bearing was bad the engine would be still running after 8 months... All the bearing caps and rods looked fine when i saw them no overheating.. Is there anything in the valvetrain that could make the noise?

Z_o-s-o

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The only other quick test I can think of would be to get it warm, and take off the fan belt and try to get it to make the noise real quick, to eliminate the accessories.

You could always grab a cheap stethoscope and scope it with the revs raised up a bit.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The only other quick test I can think of would be to get it warm, and take off the fan belt and try to get it to make the noise real quick, to eliminate the accessories.

You could always grab a cheap stethoscope and scope it with the revs raised up a bit.

I've done the stethoscope already, sounds like it's everywhere hahaha but I'll try the belt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals