• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lowering a 83-97 4x4?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
what are the option for lowering a 83-97 4x4 ranger?
from what i have read you can only go 2/2 drop if that, is that about the max without cause major problems?
I do not own a 4x4 ranger or know much about the 4x4 set-up's in these.
please don't hate on the idea, I'm just looking for info.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Because the drive axle goes thru the hub you can't have a drop axle in the front. The best I've come up with is to use a lift at the pivot end and cut the coil a bit. I don't really know what this does to the steering geometry but it will drop you a little.
Looking from the front of the truck at the drivers side axle. To help picture this consider a level see-saw as the stock axle. The left side is the beam bushing at the passenger side frame, the coil is the pivot, and the right side is the tire. Raising the tire lowers the truck. So if you put in a small lift and a stock coil it would lower the truck as a whole. Cutting out a part of the coil will lower you more but you might want to use a stiffer PPI coil to prevent hitting the bumpstops too much.
I haven't looked closely at cutting/z-ing the frame at the coil bucket, that might give a little more room for the beam to move up.

Richard

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
thanks, I would not be looking to slam the thing but it would be nice to get a 2 or 3 inches in the front and 3 or 4 inches in the rear.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
anyone else ever mess around with lowering a 4wd?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Anyone ever z the frame on a 4x4?
Otherwise I possible thinking of body dropping, I would assume thats no different than a 2wd body drop

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
Look up the cut and turn beams for lifting 4x4s. I bet you could do something opposite of that to correct the camber at drops lower than 2'' but I think you would be going on your own on this. I don't remember anyone lowering a 4x4.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just for info, what are you trying to accomplish? There may be other ways to skin the cat.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Usually you lift a 4x4. But I guess lowered truck offroading would be interesting.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Just for info, what are you trying to accomplish? There may be other ways to skin the cat.
id really like to build a stadium truck look alike,but thats probably out of the picture even in a look a like non functioning way, but my goal would be a lowered 4x4 with somewhat decent sized tires.
it would be my winter truck so i only need the 4x4 for snow.

this is just a idea at the moment and I'm waying my options.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't watch a lot of stadium truck racing, so don't really know what they look like. I think they would use the newer style front suspension, its much better for cornering. The ttb is great for doing jumps and desert racing, not so much corners. You might be better off starting with a 98+ ranger. But if using what you have, do what I suggested for the front, and a 64" Chev leaf swap. Gearing for whatever tire size you get and you may need to clearance the fenders. While you're under there, look and see if you can figure out a way to get more lowering. Only you know your skill level and the what tools you have. Good luck,

sent while sitting on the throne

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
the only time I've seen someone slam a 4x4 ranger was with a torsion bar truck. LIke you said you've heard, 2/2 is about the max you can go without major surgery to the suspension, which just isn't worth it in my opinion. Body drop wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't mind losing some headroom, you could go 3 inches and keep the engine under a cowl induction hood, it will stick out of a stock hood.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
the only time I've seen someone slam a 4x4 ranger was with a torsion bar truck. LIke you said you've heard, 2/2 is about the max you can go without major surgery to the suspension, which just isn't worth it in my opinion. Body drop wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't mind losing some headroom, you could go 3 inches and keep the engine under a cowl induction hood, it will stick out of a stock hood.
Do you have any pics of that truck,or know who it was, or any other contact info?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals