• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 bronco II won't start

The Muffin Lord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I just joined after lurking for a while. Anyway my problem goes like this. I went to start the wronco this moring and as soon as the engine started to run, it died and refuses to start. So I figured it flooded and I let it sit. Btw is about 10 degrees outside right now. I let it sit for half an hour and nothing. So now I'm getting desperate and I'm late for work now. I even tried a little starter fluid and it fired and ran for about 2 seconds max and died. So I don't know what to do now. As a side note it's been running not so great lately up until now. Idles around 1100 rpm when warm and seems to hesitate after every gear shift. Pretty rough idle too. It's also had been starting not so great. Even when it's warm I'll have to crank for 3 seconds and it slowly spits and coughs to life, almost like a lack of fuel. And the starter seems to be spinning fast like it should. It had a tune up about two months ago and that helped, but it's been getting worse since. Thanks

Edit: I talked to a local shop that I trust and he figures it's the fuel pump. So being that I don't have a shop to work in and crawling through the snow sucks I'm having him look at it. Also I forgot to mention the fuel filter was replaced about a month ago. If anyone is curious I will continue to update until the problem is solved.

Last edited:

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From your description of the problem, I would go with the fuel pump, but maybe the relay...

Ray

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Your 29 yr old B2 has bronchitis Start with the cheap easy stuff first Cheap and easy would be to jump out the fuel pump relay and see if its better. Also figure out if the fuse is OK 12 volts to fuel pump. Do the same test on the inertia cut off. Pushing the shraeder valve would give a clue to fuel pressure. I haven't had any trouble with the Rat. But this is what I would begin with. :D

Last edited:

The Muffin Lord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Haha bronchitis, good one. So it turns out to be water in the fuel that would only freeze on the coldest of days. What my guy did was push it inside his shop to warm it up and after a few hours it started. So he put in sea-foam and some heat and its runs good now. Better than it ever has actually. Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals