• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP! thinkin of purchasing this 88 b2

coffs03s10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevorlet
Transmission
Automatic
whatsup guys, im lookin for some help and advice on this bronco, my neighbor is selling it and im really considering purchasing it as a daily until i get my truck where i want it. then maybe trying to spruce this thing up a bit.

first off the y-pipe needs replaced it has a crack in it as u can see in the pics below.

he has 3'' blocks on the back and some kind of rigged up suspension in the front as u can see.

im not sure if the driveshaft os messed up or maybe a bearing is screwed up on it but thats in the pics as well

as for the body and the interior theres nothing too wrong or that im worried about, its been repainted and theres some bondo on it but im not too concerened.

it has a 2.9 and a manual trans that seems to be in good comdition.

my main concern is that y-pipe how much it is and how much it would cost to fix at a shop and if i do get it fixed can it pass emissions in indiana. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!!

will1861

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Google y-pipe, they are not too bad or expensive either. Even ebay has them. For the front (get some coils) that looks to scary to drive like that. If you can get it right, go for it

will1861

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, your missing a cover on the drive shaft that seals the bearings. Junk yards will just about give you one if you can find them around. I don't know of any source but i don't think it would be too much trouble to find one. Good luck use it for bargaining.:icon_hornsup:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My understanding about those drive shafts is that you can put an 04-09 F-150 front shaft in place of that and that it bolts right on in.

Those CV style shafts were junk though, find a double cardan or a 150 shaft if you can.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
whatsup guys, im lookin for some help and advice on this bronco, my neighbor is selling it and im really considering purchasing it as a daily until i get my truck where i want it. then maybe trying to spruce this thing up a bit.

first off the y-pipe needs replaced it has a crack in it as u can see in the pics below.

he has 3'' blocks on the back and some kind of rigged up suspension in the front as u can see.

im not sure if the driveshaft os messed up or maybe a bearing is screwed up on it but thats in the pics as well

as for the body and the interior theres nothing too wrong or that im worried about, its been repainted and theres some bondo on it but im not too concerened.

it has a 2.9 and a manual trans that seems to be in good comdition.

my main concern is that y-pipe how much it is and how much it would cost to fix at a shop and if i do get it fixed can it pass emissions in indiana. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!!

YIKES! The ypipe is easy you might even be able to have someone put a bead of weld on it and bugger is up. The drive shaft is jacked! If it is clicking - my nephews did that before I replaced it- count on getting that outta there. But otherwise a sharp azz truck - I would do it in a snap. The 2.9L w/ that trans is great. How much for the truck?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'd get some leveling coils for the front. i work at autozone and we sell the things that he has in the coils right now, you MIGHT be getting 1/2" of lift from it. as for the driveshaft, ya, the boot that holds the grease has busted, if you get a new one, it'll just bust a week after you put it in, they suck. i got one with u-joints from james duff for my b2, but it was expensive. but still, if the price is right, pick it up

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If I was in your place, I'd buy it.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-330-dana-style-driveshafts.html

Honestly you could prolly get a driveshaft outta a u-pull-it for $30 bucks and some elbow grease.

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you cant find a driveshaft out of a b2 you can get a driveshaft out of an explorer and have it shortened

coffs03s10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevorlet
Transmission
Automatic
hes asking $1000 but he said he'd do $800 because of the y-pipe so i think im gonna go ahead and get it tomoro, i really appreciate all the help and i guess ill be on here quite a bit from now on :)

AND someone already tried to weld that y pipe so im just gonna get it replaced

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual

This is the style you want if you are going to get one...http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-92434B-rear-driveshaft-manual-1985-spicer-design.html.
JBG is good but expensive - Stay AWAY from the "GKN" style - thats the crap on there now. Honestly though, new doesn't mean better - I got mine off and '85-ish (for my '89) and it fit fine. I think I paid $30 and then paid a shop to press in new u-joints about $60 for all three while it was off. The GKN is good if you wont be pounding it, but the second you take it on any trail - it will start clicking and fail. Measure measure measure. Measure the shaft on the truck and make sure you get/order the right one.

Nice truck BTW! Especially so cheap!

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
nice truck, defintely a worthwhile buy! You could probaly weld the Y-pipe if there is enough metal left. Need to get rid of that driveshaft...any increase in operating angle and it will fail, not if, will, and will leave you stranded. Also those coil spacers, as others said, take them out and put in leveling coils. I personally am not a fan of blocks, the rear springs are probaly sagging or cracked. Would just replace with explorer rear springs. Between that and the leveling coils it would sit level with a little taller than stock look.
Nice truck though!!BUY IT

coffs03s10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevorlet
Transmission
Automatic
would leafs from a 93 short bed ranger work?? my buddy might have a pair layin around. and any advice on where to buy leveling coils??

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
boot for drive shaft.

LMC truck has replacement boots for the cv style ds. Also there is post on here for replacing the drive shaft if you don't have $399.99. The thread shows how to do it for less than a 100. It works well I did the change in less than a 1/2 day. If you plan on lifting the truck then this is not recommended. Go with the double cardan style. Nice truck. I'd snatch it for the $800.00:headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals