• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil spitting from exhaust

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Help, any ideas? should i rebuild this sputtering 2.8? Or since i will be taking out the engine, should i just do a swap for something bigger?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
sounds like a problem.

I would really only "rebuild" a 2.8 if by "rebuild" you mean "replace it with something better".

The 2.9 had problems, it was worlds ahead of the 2.8. For about the same work you could have a 4.0 in there too though.

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you think it would be cheaper. got a realy tight budget

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Budget build means not rebuilding the 2.8 - is it smoking a lot? Could be the valve seals, those are a well known issue on 2.8's, could be that they are leaking and blowing oil into the exhaust. That would be an easy fix.

Your options for cheap would be either find a good 2.8, or depending on what tranny you have, you could do a carbureted 302 swap too. A C5 automatic would be the easiest with a bellhousing swap. Swapping a 2.9 would be a waste of time and a 4.0 swap would require an entire donor vehicle including gas tanks, wiring, fuel lines and pumps, etc.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

Where are you located? I will be selling my 2.8l in the next month or 2.

igiveup

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Smokes sometimes on start up but not all the time. I have only seen the oil spatter one time. I'm just worried about it because it sputters alot while stopped. It did spit alot of oil out though. I'm in the Atlanta area by the way.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Smoke on startup generally indicates valve seals (oil drips into the combustion chamber when the engine's not running.)

Your sputtering problem could be a lot of things, if you're burning through oil I'd suspect oil fouled plugs first of all, carburetor, fuel filter, anything in the ignition system, etc.

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Already changed plugs and the carb pump diaphram had a bad leak, looked one day after work and there was a pool of gass on the intake. I have heard that there are small drains from the valves to the oil pan that are known to clog if thr maintenance has not been kept up. Just a thought, just a hope really. Don't know if I burn oil or not. The oil pan has a bad leak

Last edited:

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
For all the work it would take to get the head off to rebuild them, buy the new valves, seats, springs etc... you could get a different motor and install it in half the time and prob cost a lot less. You can pick up a 4.0L (will fit on your tanny) and fuel pump (fits right in existing tank) for no more than $300. Rent an engine hoist, buy some beer and make a weekend out of it.

The nice thing about these trucks is that parts are a plently and you gan basically go find a ranger with 4L - grab the harness, motor, flywheel, and computer and off you go. No cuting or splicing, no having to cut into the fire wall, of fab engine mounts, plug n play.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
For all the work it would take to get the head off to rebuild them, buy the new valves, seats, springs etc... you could get a different motor and install it in half the time and prob cost a lot less. You can pick up a 4.0L (will fit on your tanny) and fuel pump (fits right in existing tank) for no more than $300. Rent an engine hoist, buy some beer and make a weekend out of it.

The nice thing about these trucks is that parts are a plently and you gan basically go find a ranger with 4L - grab the harness, motor, flywheel, and computer and off you go. No cuting or splicing, no having to cut into the fire wall, of fab engine mounts, plug n play.
I am pretty sure that you have to have the tank from the donor when dealing with an '83 or '84 - they have a smaller hole for the sending unit (it's like 2" vs 3-5/8".) '85 and up is a different story, tanks in those have the larger hole.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I overlooked the year. on my 89 the sending unit works for an 87 I helped work on. Ford is fun like that. from month to month in any given production year they may change PNs 3x. Jeffs Bronco Graveyard has a really nice composite plastic replacement tank if you go that route. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-312

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ThinkI'm just going to run this till it dies. then Iwill do a swap. Maybe I'll have enough saved to swap to a 302.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
if you have good compression it is probably the valve guide seals in the tech library under 2.8 V-6 there is a section on changing the seals without removing the heads using air pressure. When I did mine there were only two that resembled seals the others pretty much disintegrated. seals a spring compressor and cover gaskets is all you need I got my compressor on ebay for cheap and used my compression tester to put air in the cylinders to hold the valves up. Let me know if you decide to go that way and I can help you.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks I may try it this weekend. Will i have to drain the oil?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals