• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck randomly shutting off?

Krowzerwolf1139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
this is weird and the new all of a sudden i will be driving and the truck with almost surge it will look power than just come right back to where it was. all lights/radio is not affected. at first i thought maybe it was my negetive cable because i just replaced it and offroading shook it almost out where it kept looking connectivity. 2 days ago my truck was just fine i went bowling with friends it sat for about 3 hours came out and it would not start. so being a manual we push started it after having to shut it down for a police checkpoint we had to push start it again. yesterday i replaced the starter (lifetime warrenty) and the solinode i believe thats the pyramid looking peice on the fender. drove it all day yesterday just fine. this morning im driving to the gym and it jus dies (10 min drive before it died) i tried starting it it started than just died right after...pulled into the turning lane stoped and she fired right up drove it strait home no weird problems drived normal but the CEL is on. any help/advice would be awesome right now

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
clean all the grounds sand them metal to metal check all the wires and connectors for melting, corrosion especially around the exhaust manifold and run the codes you can get a cheap one at the part store OBD-1 I got mine on craigs list for like $15 shipped you can also run the codes using a test light or multimeter http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html here is the link in the tech library let us know what you find out.

Krowzerwolf1139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey thanks a lot ill go check all my wires and grounds and get a scanner. my buddy works at an auto store so ill get his discount and give it a shot. ill post if i can figure it out so if anyone else runs into this issue maybe it will help.

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 90 used to do something really stupid like what your described. Be driving along fine and then just die for no reason.

It turned out to be the fuel pump wiring INSIDE the tank. The connector on top of the tank had a poor connection, so it got hot, which melted the plastic that holds the pins that go into the tank, which then caused the internal connector to loosen. Caused me all sorts of headaches until I found it. I noticed it would come and go depending on how bad the roads were I was on, so knew it was electrical, just didnt know it was IN the tank.

This is when I learned its easier to cut a hole in the cargo floor, then it is to drop the tank 27 times.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Occasionally the TFI (ignition) module will cause symptoms like that... well known issue on any '80's/early 90's Ford vehicle.

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Occasionally the TFI (ignition) module will cause symptoms like that... well known issue on any '80's/early 90's Ford vehicle.
+1 i think they have a "push start" mode that can be used in emergency's

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
TFI push start

Yes it dose have a push start mode. but it's no good with the automatic:scare:
I removed my in tank fuel pump today. not too difficult with a 3" body lift. just got to worm it around a bit.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
+1 i think they have a "push start" mode that can be used in emergency's
Push starting or whatever you want to call it won't help at all if your ignition module is too hot (which is what causes the truck to die) since it contains most of the electronics for the distributor. No spark is a pretty good indicator that the ignition module is overheated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals