• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tach wiring questions

4dx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1990 Ranger 4x2 2.3l, 5speed. Let me start by saying i have used the search function, and narrowed it down but need a little more help, please. First Ranger, Like the truck, but it idles pretty low causing really rough take offs unless im revin it pretty high. Need to reset the idle, plus i like having a tach and knowing my power band.

First the green wire to tach signal. Tech library says 1990= black and yellow.
These wires are coming out of the bottom of fuse panel under hood. The bottom wire is mainly yellow with a black stripe, the second from bottom is black with a lime green stripe, and the top is a faded yellow with black stripe. Please help.
I did find a black and yellow wire coming out of the front of the fuse panel but it looks like it leads to the head lights.

The next is the white wire to 12 volt dimmer. Knob is to the right of the picture. Anyone.... Please

And last, the red wire to +12v fuse box. My fuse box doesnt match the tech library listing. Which fuse should I wire to, and which side of the fuse is the power out side.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

4dx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hell, pics didnt load, but if anyone knows the colors i would appreciate it. I really dont want to start cutting wires and hope it works.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The black/yellow wire would be coming from the DIS(distributorless ignition system) module and run to the PCM(computer) pin 4, under the glove box.

So not in the fuse panel.

there are lots of black/yellow wires :)

You need to get a volt meter or at the very least a 12volt test light.
New tach needs a good ground, thats for lights and the tach meter

12volts for meter needs to be on a keyed circuit, so it won't drain the battery.
With Key OFF, pull a fuse and test each side of the socket, if you have 12v then put fuse back, and pull another fuse, when you find one with no 12volts then turn key ON, test it again, the side with the 12v is the Battery side, with key ON, retest to make sure there is no 12v with key OFF, if it tests OK then hook tach meter to LOAD side of fuse socket, not the Battery side, this places the tach on a Fused circuit.

use test light/meter to find headlight switch dash dimmer, it will have less voltage with lights on when you turn it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals