• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 4.0 sputtering only at wide open throttle under 30 mph.

crokarlo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 ranger 4.0 4x4. I went through some trouble installing a cam position syncro had code p1309. I installed it wrong due to bad info and after installing it again doing it exactly by the book I had p1340. Circuit malfunction code. I checked the wiring and the signal wire seemed to be bad. I went and bought a cam position connector with pig tails. I spliced that directly into the pcm harness and double checked everything. Trucks starts right up and runs perfect. No more p1309 code. But it's not getting enough fuel. It mis fires slightly not as bad as pulling a spark plug but no fuel maybe. I took it for a test drive. And under 30 mph it has no power with wide open. Half throttle is perfect ! Has power and it moves. I also noticed a lot of gas has leaked out and cleaned up my 8.8 expo rear end. It was dirty before but no there's a huge clean spot and there appears to be gas on the outside of the tank. I'm wondering if s bad fuel pump seal would cause air to get into the system and their not be enough gas going into the motor.

I've replaced in the past month.
Plugs. Wires. Coilpack. MAF. IAC. TPS pcv valve. Syncro and sensor. I replaced the pump and filter last September was an Amazon fuel pump some off brand has ran fine since. And filter was Orilleys.

Possibly bad computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 ranger 4.0 4x4. I went through some trouble installing a cam position syncro had code p1309. I installed it wrong due to bad info and after installing it again doing it exactly by the book I had p1340. Circuit malfunction code. I checked the wiring and the signal wire seemed to be bad. I went and bought a cam position connector with pig tails. I spliced that directly into the pcm harness and double checked everything. Trucks starts right up and runs perfect. No more p1309 code. But it's not getting enough fuel. It mis fires slightly not as bad as pulling a spark plug but no fuel maybe. I took it for a test drive. And under 30 mph it has no power with wide open. Half throttle is perfect ! Has power and it moves. I also noticed a lot of gas has leaked out and cleaned up my 8.8 expo rear end. It was dirty before but no there's a huge clean spot and there appears to be gas on the outside of the tank. I'm wondering if s bad fuel pump seal would cause air to get into the system and their not be enough gas going into the motor.

I've replaced in the past month.
Plugs. Wires. Coilpack. MAF. IAC. TPS pcv valve. Syncro and sensor. I replaced the pump and filter last September was an Amazon fuel pump some off brand has ran fine since. And filter was Orilleys.

Possibly bad computer?

I am not sure why its running bad could be a ton of stuff. You will need to diagnose the problem. I suggest watching this guys videos on youtube to help develop a strategy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnIQ-_hRpyHR68f23dQQHUg

Look for a video with a similar problem diagnosis.

The leaking gas, I have a guess. My 93 Ranger a couple years ago was leaking because the filler tube line developed a crack right where it hooks on the top of the gas tank. I bought a new filler tube and line from Ebay for about $60 and replaced it. I found some youtube videos on how to doit the easy way. I just lifted the bed of the truck up in the front and left it connected in the back with the bolts loosened. Put a 2x4 under it to hold it up. I think you can see the fuel pump, also that way.

Good luck.

crokarlo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Appreciate the help thank you :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals