• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Bronco II - Fuel Pump(s)

86 Bronco II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been reading/using TRS for the past two years while rebuilding my Bronco II. Lots of great info here, Thank you all. Figured it was time to join.

Got my B2 running great for 5 months then it stopped....again. I've been chasing Gremlins between the high pressure rail mounted pump and the in-tank sending unit for a couple of months now.

Anybody ever change out the 2-Pump system to the single pump in-tank system found in the 1989 and later models?

I doubt I'm the first to think about, and I do apologize if there's already a thread out there.

Any insight appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's been done. IIRC the low pressure pump on the in-tank sending unit with a high pressure pump, but you just change the pump, not the whole unit. Then install another fuel filter, or some line, in place of the high pressure pump.

You can't just take the whole fuel pump assembly from an 89+ because the fuel level sensor on the later years is the wrong resistance range.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I didn't do it myself, but the b-2 I owned had a mustang pump [ as told to me] installed into the stock fuel tank to feed a 4.0l engine. There was some filing done to the tabs to allow it to fit.

86 Bronco II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So wiring shouldn't be a problem, just change out the pump at the sending unit. Any idea on make & model of the in-tank high pressure pump I'd need? (Some lessons are better learned thru hearing instead of doing.) I wonder if the B2 89 pump (sold separately) would work?

Thanks gentlemen for your input. I'll either post as success story, or ask for more help.

Thank you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals