• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

questions about explorer swap into 98 2wd ranger

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a 1998 ranger xlt; 3.0, auto, coil spring. I'm about to pick up my donor truck, 98 explorer xlt awd, to start my swap. I'm making my own headers, and have the templates to make the adapter plates for the motor mounts. My questions are:

Can I use a 96-97 ecu to eliminate the PATS? I know there are transmission differences, but I have to buy a new one anyways.

What wiring would I have to adjust I the engine harness for it to work with my factory body harness?

Last but not least, how would I correct my speedo since the expo's use a vss in the trans and the ranger uses the abs vss in the differential?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic

Exploranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No modifications needed for the speedo, the speed sensor on the transmission is only to control the trans. shifting. the speedometer still works off the VSS for the ABS in the rear end.

As far as the PCM goes I think the 97 Explorer will work just fine. I think the transmission shitting changes came in around 1999 or 2000. I don't have first hand knowledge, but that is what I remember from others. I used the 1997 Explorer as a donor, so I didn't have that issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
No modifications needed for the speedo, the speed sensor on the transmission is only to control the trans. shifting. the speedometer still works off the VSS for the ABS in the rear end.

As far as the PCM goes I think the 97 Explorer will work just fine. I think the transmission shitting changes came in around 1999 or 2000. I don't have first hand knowledge, but that is what I remember from others. I used the 1997 Explorer as a donor, so I didn't have that issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Thank you for replying. I picked up a 97 computer and fuel rails last weekend from a salvage yard. I'll be shipping out for a couple of weeks on a new job soon so when I get back I will be ordering my trans and stroker kit/aluminum heads. I need to find a donor ranger so I can get a dash harness with a GEM module for power windows/door locks. After that I will be making the headers and throw it all in. I'm really hoping to get it in the 11's with sticky tires atleast.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
The 97 computer works no need to change fuel rail
98 wiring will work just extend the 42pin plug
97 computer will work with 98 trans but the vss signal is missing so that will need figured out
Spedo will work as its truck side
To get the trans to shift right at wot you need the vss from an 96 or 97 awd case or 96 97 2wd transmission or you can do like me and run a bw4406 transfercase with the vss in the tail end
The 98 +trans is the better of the transmissions but wont shift right under wot without the speed signal

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
The weak link is thr 4r70w if your going for 11s more power than the trans can handle id go for a non computer controled trans built to hold the power and have the trans functions tuned out of the 97 computer and all is well

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
The weak link is thr 4r70w if your going for 11s more power than the trans can handle id go for a non computer controled trans built to hold the power and have the trans functions tuned out of the 97 computer and all is well
I'm having the transmission built by the best guy in my city. It should be good for 700hp and his warranty stands even if I break it at the track, so I'm not too worried about that. Now I'm trying to figure out what abs system I need to go 4wabs with a 2wd. I'm already changing to spindles with bigger brakes and the provisions to mount a sensor I just need to figure out which module I can use. And if anyone has some torquemonster headers for sale feel free to chime in. I don't have time to make any at the moment and my main bearings are shot in my 3.0, so I need to get the swap done soon. Thanks for all the help so far though. I'll start posting progress pics once I get everything together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals